Integrated Wireless

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Fred, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Fred

Fred Moderator

I am currently working on a Gateway Mx7118 laptop. I installed Mandriva 2006 and it picked up everything perfectly. Well, except the integrated wireless card, which to my understanding needs a driver "WMIB-158." I have tried to create a new wireless connection, and it is not supported by any of the native linux drivers included in the distro. So, naturally I have been trying ndiswrapper. After getting a couple of .inf files out of the exe provided by gateway, I tried loading them with ndiswrapper. To my dismay, it says "Unable to find the ndiswrapper interface." Although I dont know what the heck that means, I'm assuming it has something to do with the .inf's not working right or being the wrong ones or something. I have been googling the subject and have yet to come up with something truly useful. So that's as far as I have gotten and I'm kinda stuck. Not only have I never really dealt with wireless, but especially not in linux. Any of you have any wireless experience with linux that might be able to help me on my quest? (I'm pretty sure it's worth lots of XP).

On a side note: I have already ordered a network adapter from netgear just incase I can't get it working (If i dont need it, I can always use it with a system in the future).

2. Addis

Addis The King

Could it be that its software controlled like mine? I've been having a lot of problms with my wifi card in linux, the internal card needs to be activated via software to operate, and the only software available to do that is in windows, apart from a program called acerhk which lets you use the hotkeys etc. However i can't get that working.

No luck I'm afraid.

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

Oh well.. like i said, I already ordered that netgear wireless adapter, so as long as that one will work, i should be fine. Thanks anyways, addis.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I looked into your adapter, and I haven't seen that anybody has got it working with NDISWrapper in Linux at all. It may be out there, but I haven't seen it. It's likely just one of those proprietary devices which will never be supported outside of Windows XP, and probably not even on any other versions of Windows. The adapter you ordered works fine with NDIS Wrapper though, so that should be OK.

5. Fred

Fred Moderator

Thanks AT, I thought that was the case since I didn't find anything either, but it's nice to hear other people confirm it even though it's not good news.

6. Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett Geek Trainee

If you use Novell SuSE 10, it recognizes all integrated Wireless cards.

www.novell.com

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

No, it doesn't. It supports all of the integrated wireless adapters that Linux supports, no more.