Intel Vs. AMD

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Black Bart, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Black Bart

Black Bart Geek Trainee

I just want to know what the people of hardware forums prefer AMD or Intel. I personally prefer AMD becaus its cheaper and just about the same, except the faster frontside bus, but thats besides the point. I have the Athalon XP 1600 and its holding me over just fine I don't know why someone would waste $500 on just a processor. I paid less than that for my whole system. Please give me some input.

Peace

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, I'm even as far as processors go. Lately, I've been going for AMD over Intel, except for dual processors. In this area, I think Intel is better since they've been doing it longer and make solid chipsets overall. I don't believe there is a one size fits all for PC's, whether that involves Intel, AMD, Sun or Via (Cyrix III). I think AMD does have the winner, hands down, on the clock speed/value, but I think Intel has it when it comes to durability of the actual CPU. By that I mean, it's harder to accidentally screw up your CPU by simply installing it.

My dad prefer's Intel chips and chipsets, but I just go for what works for me. I like Via chipsets and except for certain companies (Abit, FIC), I've gotten good results from them.

I think Intel is going own AMD in the server market for quite some time. It's simply because AMD is the newbie in the market, and even minimal problems like the 760MPX USB issue don't look good on their resume'.