Internet Explorer Vs Firefox

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Madee, Jul 17, 2007.

?

Internet Explorer or Firefox?

1. Firefox

20 vote(s)
    95.2%
  2. Internet Explorer

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Madee

Madee Geek Trainee

I'm new to the forum & I love online debates so I thought I would kick off my first post with this, I only just downloaded firefox and i love it, my vote goes to firefox and i will never go back! I mainly like it because it has tabbed browsing, its fast, includes spell checking, you can add extra plugins & extensions! if you use firefox already, upgrade to firefox 2 now, if you don't have it yet, download it FREE from: Firefox

Which do you prefer? please cast your vote & give your views...

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Well Firefox is fast, safe and has many more features than IE. And it's not from Micro$oft. That are the main reasons why I only use Firefox and never IE.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

without a doubt the winner is Firefox, although personally i use Linux & i use either Swiftfox or Iceweasel, both are basically Firefox as they are based on Gecko (it was made open source by Netscape) M$ IE is based on Trident, check here for many other browsers for Win, also look here for my post about different browsers

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Between the two, Firefox, although Opera is snappier than FF.

5. zeus

zeus out of date

Firefox. I always remember IE being quicker, it certainly opens quicker.
    I prefer Firefox because of the bookmarks you can easily add to the toolbar, tabs and popup blocker is really good.

The poll should read "firefox or opera" imo. I like the quick dial thing in opera. Bit torrent is good too. The email im not sure about, I like using a separate client. I use both, but only cos a site I view all the time is spazzed in firefox.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, Operas mail client has a weird message search algorithm, it make it very confusing to new user, personally i got bored of it and gave up on it

7. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

lol 10 votes and they all for Firefox.

8. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I've been using Firefox for a long time and I've never gone back, in fact, I don't think I've ever intentionally opened IE on this computer, only when I've clicked on the Check Mail button in MSN by accident.

Seriously though, next computer I have (hopefully a laptop very soon) won't have a single M$ application on it, Linux and OpenOffice.org all the way! :D

9. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

Firefox!!!!!!!

10. edijs

edijs Programmer

Firefox, of course, wins this one. Although I prefer Opera over both of the contestants anyways. :cool:

btw - have never seen a Netscape option in these kind of 'versuses'. Okay, it's buggy, but is still better than IE.

11. RHochstenbach

It's sad that in my country (the netherlands) the usage of firefox is very low and the percentage is dropping :confused: It is a M$ fanboy country :(

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:good: IE is crap IMO

don't you mean NutScrape

13. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

I vote firefox, of course, but I still like having IE for things like playing music videos on sites like launch.com or the aol music site. Some of them require activex plugins, which IE comes preinstalled with. So I keep the activex plugins off firefox (since I heard having them installed slightly compromises the security of the browser... correct me if i'm wrong), and use IE for such "dirty jobs", essentially.

14. RHochstenbach

I don't use IE or IE tab at all. If a website doesn't support the browser, then I'll leave that site immediately.

15. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Heh, I can't do that -- I like these sites too much.

16. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

There is a IE plugin for firefox aswell. So if a website doesnt works for you in Firefox...Right Click on the page and select show tab in IE....Here we go..u in IE.;)

17. RHochstenbach

You could, however send an email to the webmaster/company with the question if they could make their site compatible with non-IE browsers. They'll need to get the feeling that a very huge group of people can only visit their site if it is compatible with firefox and opera.

18. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Hey, that sounds kind of cool. Any idea what that plugin is called or what subdivision of the add-ons page to find it in? The total number of add-ons to browse through is an aweful lot heh.

Hm, that's an idea. But their reasoning might just be that, well, their site IS accessible to firefox if only the user downloads the ActiveX plugin for FF. But I may try doing that anyway.

19. donkey42

donkey42 plank

it's called IE View & it's here, but it's only for Windows, so i guess i'll continue avoiding sites that Iceweasel doesn't work with

BTW: Iceweasel is basically Firefox it was originally for Debian, but in *nix you can "borrow" stuff from other distro's or just use the source code

20. RHochstenbach

It is called IE Tab
    [ot]sorry Dave, didn't see your post[/ot]