ip conflict

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by nonamme, Feb 26, 2010.

1. nonamme

nonamme Geek Trainee

Hi. I have a laptop which is the only computer I use. I get internet via unsecured wireless connection from my friend who lives next to my house. It's been working just fine over months. But about a week ago I started to get error: "There is ip address conflict with another system on the network". As I mentioned I don't have any routers. I tried to renew ip address via ipconfig, reinstalled drivers for all network cards, and finally decided to reinstall windows. I erased all info and formatted all drives. In the middle of windows installation I got exactly the same message. It finished installing, and needles to say I have the same issue. Tried to connect from another laptop - worked just fine. Please help!

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, have you tried using a static IP address making sure it's on the same range as your friends Routers DHCP server, it will most likely be the 192.168.1.? range.
    I would also advise your friends to encrypt his wireless network with atleast WPA or WPA2 encryption as you don't want to leave your wireless network open as it's gaining access to the internal network, you will have random people join it and use IP port scanners to see what IP's are in use and also hack the machines on your LAN and install malware such as keyloggers etc and also remote software so they can see what your doing. Also don't use WEP encryption as it can be cracked in about 3 mins depending on the distance from the access point. It's done using Linux Based OS's which I'm not going to list. It works by sending and receiving packets to a capture file from the access point after collecting enough packets around 20,000 they use packet sniffer which basically cracks the encryption. most WEP's are in Hexidecimal A-F, 0-9. WPA is not as easy to crack. anyway good luck hope this help.

3. nonamme

nonamme Geek Trainee

Thts the problem he's out city till middle march and I cannot wait that long. Other laptop works fine so there gotta be something wrong with mine. Can I somehow manually change that ip address ? If yes can u guide me on how To do it?

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

on the laptop that works go to command prompt and type the following: ipconfig
    this will give you the ip range and gateway.

what is the ip address of the laptop that works also what is the gateway?