IPCop or Smoothwall?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by megamaced, Sep 11, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

[ot]
    Have you taken, or are you familiar with the Cisco CCNA qualification? I will be taking the subject next year as part of my ongoing IT studies. Just wanted to know how long you'd think it would take for me to complete and how easy / hard you think it is.[/ot]

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

[ot]
    I don't have my CCNA yet, but I'm going to try get it this year since the company I work for will pay for it. CCNA is a very good cert to have, because it seems like every company out there insists on having Cisco gear and doesn't have anybody who can work on it. You ask an IT manager to change an ACL on their router, and they invariably call their "Cisco consultant". That could be you, charging $250/hr to write a few simple policies. :) [/ot]

3. megamaced

[ot] Well I'll have to put the CCNA to one side now, considering whats happened with my college. I'll complete my MCSE and get a job instead. Then I can concentrate on the CCNA and Linux+ [/ot]

I've been thinking about backup recently. I want to backup my IPCop machine in the event of a failure. The equipment is quite old, especially the 3GB HDD, so I think it's probably in my best interests that I have a backup plan.
    The computer does not have a floppy drive installed at present. If I connect an internal floppy drive to the computer will IPCop automatically detect it and configure it?
    Will the BOT settings get backed up as well? As you know, BOT is an optional addon, so will I have to back that up separately?

Thanks

4. megamaced

The traffic graphs in IPCop are great but I was wondering whether it is possible to show usage on a per MAC basis? The internet is crawling in the evenings and I have a feeling that some users are using way too much bandwith. AT, do you know of any third party addons that can provide this feature? Thanks