Ipod Video alternative's?

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by Impotence, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Hey,

I've been saving up money to buy an airsoft MP5 replica, but ive decided i dont want to be spending £300 on a bbgun + equipment!

Ive decided to get a new MP3 player, as my last one is well... shoddy.

I Want to get something with a large capacity (The Ipod Video has 80Gb), decent battery life (Ipod Video = 20 hours) and plays video's + MP3's...

I would prefer it if it wasn't an Ipod, there too much of a symbol that i dont want branded on my pocket! (Although i think i could live with myself if i put Ipod Linux on it! :p) so before i've finished saving up £280 for the Ipod + Hard Case, are there any other mp3 players with similar / equal / greater specs that anyone can vouch for? a larger screen might be nice!

2. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

Ipod Video alternitives?

microsoft zunes are cool if not a bit thick. and they are 30gb but several sites on the web explain how to upgrade to 60gb and beyond.
    The Archos AV400 is just plain cool but it might not have the battery life the ipod says it boasts.

3. Impotence

Ipod Video alternitives?

Thanks for the suggestion, but i have a strong dislike M$

Looks very nice, a much larger screen and there is even a 100GB Model! its even more expensive than the Ipod though, which is my main (only?) hate of Apple hardware.... "Apple Tax" (My Way of saying Apple stuff is more expensive, because its made by Apple)

will give that one some serious thought, thanks Runner

4. Impotence

Ipod Video alternitives?

check this out!

ARCHOS

only 30Gb, but it seems wonderful....

5. zeus

zeus out of date

Ipod Video alternitives?

I had an iRiver pmp140 which I was impressed with. It was 40gb, more than id ever need. I think they were £400 here but surely they've come down in price since!

It was quite a while ago now, when they first came out in america. It arrived from the us with a broken screen. Only the glass part, it was otherwise fine. I used it for week or so whilst I waited for UPS to come and pick it up. I sent it back but the sender was told to pay import tax which they refused and UPS eventually destroyed it! So I lost my

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Ipod Video alternitives?

Samsung will b introducing [link=http://www.samsung.com/common/microsite/exhibition/ices2007/main.asp?pcode=AV2]this one[/link] soon. Check it...

7. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

Ipod Video alternitives?

yeah i dont like apple that much either but microsoft is ok maybe i guess.

8. Impotence

Ipod Video alternitives?

I would rather pay apple tax than pay for malfunctioning windoze devices/code!

Apple = Expensive = Lots of money = √Evil (Square root of Evil)
    Micro$oft = Evil (Stright to evil, ignoring the money)

9. Karanislove

Wat a calculation! :good:

10. Impotence

It was more or less adopted from this

11. Karanislove

haha....Thats true! but hey as long as u r getting wat u need from that gal.... Spending money is worth...Its like investing..haha!

12. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Impotence,

Cowon is a not so well known alternative to ipod/zen/zune crap. Look here

I recommend the iAUDIO X5. It plays video, audio, pictures and is linux compatable.

Also have a look at the Cowon D2 (just came out) and the A2.

Sorry for lack of links, their website isn't very friendly.

I have been drooling over the X5 (and M5) for about a year because it has superior audio quality. People who value audio quality usually recommend cowon products. The bonus is that none of their products lock you into an OS, they are all mass storage type devices (AFAIK).

HTH

13. Impotence

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i also hope this thread will be useful to anyone else in a similar situation.

I have been offered a 30GB Ipod Photo for £40, obviously it wont play any video's but it will fit all my music (just :p) and save me £200+ pounds, so i might be going to Amsterdam after all :p

14. Runner7775

Runner7775 Geek

in general big companies = evil

15. sjhaycroft

sjhaycroft Geek Trainee

ive recently bought an 80gb video ipod in black, so far i think its a good little bit of kit it has some cool features such as the obvious video, games, the ability to have many different clocks, games etc. however it is rather pricey. i did have the sony nw-hd5 which was very reliable, had it for maybe 2 years, thats a good mp3 player as you have the option of compressing your mp3 files into smaller format in order to put more on it, 20gb it was. however the program sonicstage is no match to itunes, often it would crash.

if i were you id look into the ipod but be warned i have heard that the batteries depreciate over time and the only was to sort it is to send your whole mp3 player to apple. hope this helped

16. JessMyz

JessMyz Geek Trainee

Not available in UK yet - but I live and die by my Zune. A little chunkier than most iPods, but I kind of like the extra weight - feels very durable

17. stellamary

stellamary Geek Trainee

Thanks for the informative post..I enjoyed a lot...keep sharing.

18. softechnet

softechnet Geek

I have apple ipod, where we can add many videos and songs.

19. annaspetfrog

annaspetfrog Geek Trainee

I'm not looking for a media play to run linux on. I'm looking for one that will interact with the linux desktop with minimal problems.