is it my hardware or my configuration?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by stefan1988, Jun 30, 2004.

1. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

I got this game called morrowind and I want to play it really well i got a lot of parts for my comp these are my specs

motherboard: asus p4p800 normal one is not the deluxe
    chip: 3.0 ghz northwood chip fsb of 800
    ram: 2 sticks of 256 is dual ram kingston i think
    audiocard:audigy2 zs
    videocard: geforce fx 5600 normal is not the ultra
    hard drives: 2 hard drives of 40 gb nothing on them i made a brand new instalation

the recommended requirements for the game are
    800 mhz
    256 of ram
    64mb videocard

and i still can't play the game also i tried doing some stuff the readme file said but i still cant play the game and is driving me nuts a friend told me that morrowind depends more on the chip i had a celeron 2.0 ghz so i got a new chip a 3.0 ghz and still cant play it i dont think is the videocard.the videocard has 256mbs is an fx 5600 the recomendedwas a geforce 4 or something that had 64 mb on the videocard so i made a new reinstallation i erase everything completely and i did a new instalation and when i play the game it freezes sometimes too much it occurs quite frequently the machine has everything drivers update and everything windows updates everythingi can play other games like call of duty medal honor perfectly and they need more than morrowind and i got the year edition becasue it had all the expansions bloodmoon has the latest patch and i still get problems

what is the problem here? :confused:

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

he was umm WRONG. i can play it on a 1.8 celeron. Morrowind on teh Xbox freezes alot too. usually about once ever half hour. Its just a buggy game. Try running it at lower eye candy and try doing less things like, dont open your meny when your jumping or dont draw your weapon right as you open a door.

3. ninja fetus

your pc has nothing to do with it.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It sounds more like Morrowind is the problem rather than your PC. You've got the newest drivers, you're all patched up, the problem only exists in Morrowind...unless there's a new patch on-line that you don't have yet.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Make sure that:

* You have the latest version of DirectX installed
    * Windows is patched to a current state
    * You have the latest (stable) drivers installed, for both video and motherboard
    * You're not using any Morrowind modules that might cause problems (!)
    * Nothing is running in the background that's hogging your resources

I've seen Morrowind really flip out because of certain antiviruses before, and also modules for the game that caused instability. I've also found that running Morrowind FPS Optimizer really helps performance, appearance and smoothness of play. Unfortunately, it doesn't work properly with any of the Morrowind ambient sound plugins, so it's one or the other.

6. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

but i have a friend that has a system like the one i have the only difference is that he has a fx 5700 and a chip of 2.4 p4 and some people have just barely the minimun requirements and they play the game perfectly mine is so slow and crappy i started a new game and when the guy is going to ask me something the games slows down incredibly i can barely move the mouse sometimes it stays like that for a long time i move 3 steps and the same thing happens again how can that be do i need more ram or what? i got everything still can't play it i got the latest direct x everything i have tried all the possible things that can be done i tried a tweaking guide at tweaktown and still the same problem i think the only solution there is for me is to go hang myself on the highest tree i see :( :( :( i want to play the game really bad u think if i get a x800 i will be able to play it?

7. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

i tried downloading that thing i cant i try looking for it later on google i tell you if i get any difference in perfomance

8. Anti-Trend

You definately don't need better hardware just to play Morrowind; I used to play it fine with a 1Gig Athlon Classic (Slot A) and a Radeon 8500. I did have a Gig of RAM, but it was only PC-133!

9. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

so what can be done here nothing? there's nothing i can do to play it better? i can't download that fps optimizer dont know why. i tried also modifying the ini file but not much of a difference in the game same problem

10. Anti-Trend

Are you running Windows XP by any chance?

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The link Anti-Trend put up was to a page with different links. I grabbed the .zip file to check it out and it downloaded fine for me. You're not trying to save the link he put up?

12. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

yeah i have win xp do u think if i install another os i will be able to play morrowind better?

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not necessarily. If you do install, say Windows 98, do realize that you'll have to configure your boot loader to be able to boot to both OSes. It's not terribly difficult, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle yet. Before you go to that length, you might try running Morrowind in Compatibility mode for another OS. If you don't know how, right click on the morrowind file to launch the program...not the shortcut. The menu will pop up, ---> Properties. The box that comes up has a few different tabs, one of which is labled Compatibility, and that's what you want. The first option down is compatibility mode.

14. Anti-Trend

Well, the reason I ask is because during the brief period I ran XP I had all kinds of compatibility issues with games, including 3D-lockups. However, my dad had better luck. I installed Morrowind on his XP Pro desktop, and he ran it with no hitches (Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB PC-3200, GF4MX, SB Audigy2, Omega Drivers, *NO SERVICE PACK 1*).

15. ninja fetus

service pack one has seemed to make more problems for me when i ran xp. It might have been because i was running Emachines home XP. It might have just been my imagination though...

16. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

the compatibility mode doesnt help that much because i tried it with other games i had a game that need win 95 and i tried running it with compatibility of win95 and the game wasnt working even after i put the compatibility on win 95 and i tried other games it doesnt help that much anyway i tried morrowind on my laptop is a dell inpiron 1100 it has a 64 mb videocard 512 of ram a 2.0 ghz chip it should run on any of these perfectly but on both i got problems i tried the fps optimizer and the thing increases the view distance and makes the game really slow and the game doesn't get stuck but it runs really bad i hate when it moves so slow that's when i can't play a game perfectly i just get better hardware and the improvemenst were not that good becasue the game moved perfectly but in parts like when you see water o when i get out of teh boat the first time the interior there is simply perfect i move perfectly i get out of there and it gest a little bit slow but not that much a guy talks to me to ask my race and it get's stuck right there on that part sometimes and the thing is i don't run like crazy i barely walk and it gest stuck sometimes i can play it perfectly but there is a certain part and it get stuck right there it makes me really mad :mad: especially when i going to save it its gets stuck right there