Is overclocking your graphics card bad for the card, or the computer?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by johnlee, Jun 24, 2011.

1. johnlee

johnlee Geek Trainee

I recently bought a new game The witcher, now my computer is old but not that old. My graphics card is an WinFast A6600 GT , how much should i overclock it so it runs smoothly, or even runs at all (because it wont run for longer than 30 mins due to the low virtual memory) also any tips or links to overclocking would help. Cheers mate.

2. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

i wouldn't bother using/overclocking the 6600gt.
    depends on what setup you have and if its good enough, then a new video card is the way to go.
    if you want tell us what you got and we can go from there.

Sniper likes this.
  3. Makcalable

Makcalable Geek Trainee

Overclocking is a BAD idea unless you know what you're doing...and even at that it will be forcing more electricity into the equation and this will increase heat.. heat is not good so it isn't just the case of just overclocking but you would need to make sure you have sufficient cooling and power supply too.... I wouldn't recommend doing it, this will also void any warranty you may have too.

Sniper likes this.
  4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Yep. Unless you understand the consequences of overclocking, don't do it. You need good ventilation and proper o/c settings. Also, overclocking shortens the life expectancy of whatever it is you're overclocking.

Sniper likes this.