is theres such thing as a socket 478 mobo with pci express?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by stefan1988, Jul 14, 2005.

1. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

I was planning to upgrade my computer motherboard because im gonna buy a videocard
    I was thinking why not get a new mobo that supports pci express
    my chip is a 3.0 ghz but my mobo doesn't have pci express slot

so I started to look around for a motherboard that supports 478 chip and has pci express and I dont see any I looked on asus website their best mobo for socket 478 still uses agp so i tried googling to see if i see any and i haven't see any yet can you guys tell me of a motherboard that has pci express and supports socket 478 or is theres a way to putting my old socket 478 into these new socket ones mobos

2. Addis

Addis The King

No PCI-Express will not appear in any Socket A or socket 478 motherboards. If you want use PCI-E then you'll need a new mobo, and only LGA775 sockets will have that, and you current CPU won't work with it. So in order to get PCI-E you'll need new mobo and new CPU. Plus the graphics card if you haven't already.
    You can although get an AGP card which means that you'll be able to keep your current config.
    Heres a good AGP card

3. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

wat about socket 939 dont they have pci express also ?

4. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yes skt. 939 has PCI Express but that is an AMD socket and 478 is an Intel socket.

5. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

i know is amd socket but i was just mentioning to make sure
    because he said
    so is there more besides 939 and 775 sockets that have pci express?

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Ummmmm, I think 754 (is that right?) has it. It is another AMD skt. 940 should have it too.