Is this screen good for playing games?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Wouter, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

I'm not kidding you... I know it's expensive as hell, but my grandparents bought it a little while ago. I guess it's a good investment since they're watching television almost all of the time.

I was thinking I might hook up my newly coming rig to it sometime, if only for the thrill of it, just to see what it looks like. They probably won't mind.

So what do you think performance and quality would be?

Plasma TV: Sony KE-61MRX1
    http://www.sony.be/view/ShowProduct...ageType=TechnicalSpecs&category=TVP+Plasma+TV

2. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

The tv should be ok for media, but it depends on how you're going to hook your pc up to it.. (ie, s-video, componant cables, or dvi. preferably the 2 latter ones)

I can also say that the text on the screen will almost be unreadable :p hdtv's arent really ment for using with pc's. according to nvidia anyway
    TV video signals will appear blurry compared to the sharp image quality from a high-resolution PC monitor. Graphic cards are designed to output at resolutions of 640x480 resolution or higher. When the TV encoder converts this to an NTSC or PAL TV format, it must reduce the video signal quality to adhere to TV format specifications.

While PC monitors generally have a dot pitch of about .24mm (the distance between two phosphor dots), the dot pitch for TV's will be at least twice that distance. This results in blurry text on your TV. PC monitors are non-interlaced meaning when they do a redraw, they draw every line. TV's, on the other hand, are interlaced and only redraw every other line. This leads to visible flickering on your TV.

So, while you should be able to get by on the tv :p. if you're just gonna try it out on your grandparents tv, why not? :p But i definatly wouldnt reccomend making a tv like that a permanent monitor.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

sniperfox - you'll be sitting a lot further back than you normally would therefore things won't appear as bad as they seem close up. Also if you connect it using a DVI input and set the resolution of your graphics output to the natural resolution of the TV (1365 x 768) then it should be fine. On older CRT TV's then the quality would be bad as you'd need to drop the resolution right down but that isn't the case here.

4. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

Hey, i took that straight from the nvidia website.

Experienced it too.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

What input were you using? S-Video I can imagine, but DVI that sounds strange.

6. sniperfox

sniperfox Geek Trainee

Me?
    I was using componant..

like i said.. its good with games/movies, but reading text is horrible.. even if you change the fontsize :p