"It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" removal

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by StimpE, Dec 3, 2005.

1. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Microsoft's Support Site had a big checklist to go through, which didn't quite work.

Fresh format/install WinXP Home
    P4 3.0ghz
    200gb Maxtor SATA
    Radeon 9550 256MB
    512MB RAM

When you tell it to shut down, it says the error message "it is now safe...blah" then you have to do it manually.

If you press the power button while the computer is on, it immidiately shuts off.

Any ideas? I'm all out :/

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

There may be a BIOS option you have to change, I think on my motherboard you can set what the power button does when pressed.

3. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

I looked already and did not find anything to that effect, I'll go check again though.

*edit* I found a setting that was to enable ACPI 2.0, it was set to No, so I set it to Yes, but no change. This is starting to annoy me hehe.

The mobo is an Asus P4S8X-MX if that might help.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Check in Device Manager to make sure the computer type is listed as an ACPI compliant system. If not, update the driver to an ACPI-compliant Uniprocessor PC.

5. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

It's not listed as an ACPI-compliant Uniprocessor PC. But why wouldn't it? We used the same WinXP install disc as usual. And for the update to the driver, you mean to do a windows update and hope it shows up under hardware?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's one of the drivers that comes with Windows 2000/XP. Just have the update wizard look through it's own database for all relevant drivers. You don't need to go to Windows Update. That, and half the time the drivers from there screw things up...