iTunes alternatives

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by sabashuali, Jan 13, 2012.

1. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi all,

It has been a while.... in the meantime I got my self a 'new' laptop. It's a dell D630 DC. I love it! :D
    It is currently running Debian Wheezy with an amd64 branch kernel... how exiting....!

I am essentially looking for a decent iTunes alternatives for my iPod classic. I read quite a few reviews about the various apps. I understand that there are quite a number of alternatives but wondered if anyone actually had any experience with any of the iTunes alternatives out there...

Thanks for reading!

Take care all!

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

3. tking0036

tking0036 Geek

Nice! Another latitude d630 user! You should check out Rhythmbox... I think it will work with the iPod.
    try
    sudo apt-get install rhythmbox

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Well, utterly and thoroughly disappointing! Both Rhythembox and Banshee are very easy to work but fail miserably when synching.
    Completely jumbled my iPod. So much that I had to wipe my iPod and start again.... needless to say that I will not be trying this again in a hurry....

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Quick update.... if anyone even bother to read these posts....
    So I was really disappointed with Rhythmbox and Banshee, until..... I RTFM!!!
    Who needs to synch? DnD baby! Simply drag the album to the iPod entry which Banshee kindly prepared for me once the iPod was mounted!
    Banshee then automatically updates the iPod db and synchs the added album. Ce-tu!

The reason I chose Banshee in the end was that unlike Rhythmbox it did not want to install half of the Gnome desktop in preparation... :p

Unfortunately there is still no real solution for firmware upgrade etc. iTunes is utter shite under Wine so every now and again, there is no escaping connecting the iPod to iTunes.... the only other option I can think of is having a VM or VirtualBox installtion of Windows and then have iTunes there, in case you do not have a windows PC. For me this is not currently an option as I do not have enough disk space...

Aaaanyway, good luck! Keep it hanging loose....