Jumper settings and floppy drive

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by BigL, Nov 7, 2003.

1. BigL

BigL Guest

I have an "antique" I am trying to fix up for someone. The machine is a P133 with 2 hard drives. 1 change I made was to make the larger of the 2 drives the master and the smaller one the slave. That seemed to work fine, but now all of a sudden, the floppy stopped working. Tried a second floppy drive, but still nothing. I know it's not a problem with the motherboard as I put it in upside down and the light stayed on. Since it is an old machine, neither of the 2 drives had jumper settings listed on them. I played around with both until I got the proper master/slave combination. That's when the problem started.

Does anyone out there know if improper jumper settings can affect the floppy drive?

(NOTE: The floppy is on it's own IDE)

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Make sure the cables are all the way in. Also, make sure you configure the bios accordingly.
    If that doesn'T work, try with only one hdd and see what happens.

One other thing, If you don'T have a cd drive or any other drive, I strongly suggest you put your second hdd as a master on the secondary channel because you'll gain performance.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If worse comes to worse, you could put things back how they were initially. I haven't heard of this problem before now, so I'm not sure what to make of it.