kernel help please

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by donkey42, Nov 7, 2008.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ok. i'm trying to roll a custom kernel for Debian Lenny b2 & i've tried reading this but i'm now more confused than ever

e.g. a custom kernel is built from sources but it is unclear as to whether the kernel is built from the sources, say, in your /home directory & it also wants you to install sources with apt

possibly while the sources you've chosen, you could apply patches, but AT said
    if that was the case, why would you install sources with apt?

i'm not disagreeing with AT, i'm just really confused, in some way i wish i had access to the required commands to hand roll a custom kernel, & then i could figure out how & why it works / worked, hopefully someone can streighten me out, cos i just don't understand

AT quote from here

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi Donkey

I normally go to the forums when I have an issue with Debian.
    I found this one a while ago when I was contemplating doing what you are trying to do.

At the time I just wanted to learn more about the process and ended up deviating from the Debian way (with some help from AT who supplied me with some solid learning links courtesy of Slackware... or was it LFS...? cannot remember :x:) . I never did manage to roll out my own Kernel but then again I never had a chance to really invest good time in it. In any case If you have not been there yet, I would heartily recommend it.

Good luck.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

thank you Saba, very much appreciated, checking out the link

BTW: hope i can sort it, it really is :swear:ing me off now, cheers Saba :beer:

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

kernel-package is fixed in Lenny, so I can start building again. :)

5. zeus

zeus out of date

I built my kernel from this. It seemed really simple.
    8.3. Linux-2.6.22.5

I would start reading from here.....
    "If desired, skip kernel configuration by copying the kernel config file, .config, from the host system (assuming it is available) to the unpacked linux-2.6.22.5 directory."

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

cheers Zeus, will look in a min

@AT i look forward to using HWF custom kernel, but i'd be happier if i could roll my own, so i'll keep trying

BTW: @ kernel.org i found 2.6.27.4 without help or links or instructions, but, then again it's hardly rocket science, finding the latest sources