Kubuntu - God I love it.

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Matt555, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

This is what I get:
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

compiz-core has installed okay, it's just the other options all give me that BREAK message instead of 'install'

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Well, as I said, I'll try and install XGL on Ubuntu again over the weekend and let you know how to do it (assuming I am successful :D )

In the meantime, you can enjoy this screenshot of my desktop with openSUSE 10.1 and XGL :)

Attached Files:

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Now you're just trying to make me jealous! :p

4. megamaced

W00t! I've got XGL+Beryl working in Ubuntu. It works really well in Ubuntu, much cleaner the what I have experienced in openSUSE.

There are so many HOWTOs out there that it becomes hard to choose which one to follow. The development of XGL is such that a guide can become easily outdated.

Beryl is the new name to a recent fork of Compiz. From what i've seen so far, it performs much better then Compiz. The Beryl settings manager appears in the system tray so you can easily change themes and settings. Theres loads of cool 3D effects settings to play around with :)

You should completely uninstall Compiz before you attempt one of these HOWTOs

HOWTO: Ubuntu 6.06 (GNOME) with nVidia
    HOWTO: Kubuntu 6.06 (KDE) with ATi

5. Milanche

Milanche Geek

Is it better than Compiz is??? And what about AIGLX??? They say it's better than XGL for a bit...

6. megamaced

Well I am no expert, but from what i've read AIGLX is the future. AIGLX is included in Xorg 7.1 (Ubuntu Edgy Eft will have AIGLX) so there will be no need to install XGL anymore. This should make the 3D desktop a bit easier to install for everybody. Also, AIGLX will bring 3D desktop support to Intel cards. So I might be able to use my ageing i810 :D

What impresses me most about XGL+Beryl is the minimal hardware requirements. I am running it very smoothly on a Geforce2 Ultra, Pentium 3 1GHz and 384MB of RAM. Now imagine trying to run Vista's Aero on those specs! It just goes to prove how bloated Windows is.

7. Milanche

Milanche Geek

LOL i can imagine Vista on that even without aero...

So what would run best on my card (GeForce4 MX440) AIGLX, XGL+Compiz or XGL+Beryl???

A little off-topic: Does anyone have Rapidshare collector's account???

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I've got Beryl working with 3D and effects etc and all I have to say is:

OH MY F*CKING GOD, IT'S AMAZING

9. Milanche

Milanche Geek

Is it better than others (by your opinion)???

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I haven't been able to try Compiz as I never got it working.

11. megamaced

@ Matt555

haha, cool man :) Did you get it working with that KDE+ ATi guide?

The Beryl manager (the pink diamond in the tray) is where you should go to change the effects. Go to the 'Animations' section and play around there. I've enabled some really cool menu transitions :)

Press CTRL+ALT+ hold mouse button whilst dragging left and right
    Press CTRL+ALT+Left or Right arrow to switch desktops

@ Milanche

AIGLX is not available on Ubuntu Dapper without some serious tweaking (or upgrading to Edgy Eft). At this stage, you are better off installing XGL.

Beryl is an updated Compiz. Compiz is still being maintained by Novell, but all of the innovations are happening with Beryl.

For your setup, go with XGL+Beryl

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I already had the ATI Drivers installed and I just followed the Beryl instructions, it was rather easy actually, add some repos, few simple commands and use their config code for some files, plus the effects are amazing!

Do you know the shortcut for zooming in and out or the desktop?

I've worked out most of the others, here's a couple more I just figured out:
    F8 - Move windows in a Mac OSX 'expose' style.
    Shift+F9 - Rain

13. megamaced

*I think* you have to move the mouse cursor over a window boarder, hold the Windows key and move the mouse wheel

14. Milanche

Milanche Geek

Woooooow!!! Coooool!!! Rain!!!

15. megamaced

So I guess you won't be going back to Windows anytime soon then? ;)

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I haven't booted Windows since I installed Kubuntu, I gave it some time rather than getting impatient and it's totally worth the effort, it's faster, looks better, more secure and more stable than Windows, plus software is totally easy to install in Adept, what more could I want?!

17. Milanche

Milanche Geek

Hmmm... I would like Delphi IDE (but not emulated or something like Lazarus)...

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

That's my laptop running XGL and Beryl.

*Edit - WARNING, TURN DOWN YOUR SPEAKERS, I DIDN'T REALISE THE SOUND WAS THAT LOUD.*

19. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Very slick, Matt555. I haven't run Beryl yet, how stable would you say it is at this moment?

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I've had a few crashes, which was kind of expected with a system this new. Overall though for something that is so new it's much more stable than anything Windows / M$ would put out :p