Kubuntu - God I love it.

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Matt555, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'm sure what you're saying is true. I'm at a point right now where massive stability is more attractive than a flashy GUI, but it's nice to see the GL desktop is coming along nicely on Linux. I think I'll start using AIGLX w/Beyrl when both technologies are slightly more mature, at least beta status. Still, looks silky smooth man. :) More power to 'ya.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Once XGL / Beryl is fully released and supported it'll warm more people to the idea of virtual desktops too as they'll be able to actually see what's going on when they change a desktop, they're still using the same OS and everything, they've just got a new 'blank canvas' to use instead of having many apps open in one place and being cluttered.

3. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

I'm sold! I really want to try out XGL/beryl now. Thanks for the vid. I'm going to download sabayon linux to try it out on a liveDVD. My machine is a little old but its worth a shot.

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

The rig in your specs should be able to run XGL / Beryl fine, I think mega had it running on a rig much older than the one you've got.

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Nice video Matt

I haven't been successful getting the rain effect to work yet. What do I have to press? I've tried F8 & F9 but nothing happens.

What key combination switches around the windows so they don't overlap?

@ AT

XGL+Beryl is fairly stable, I haven't had any crashes, except using the older Compiz on openSUSE. One major blow is that games and other apps won't run in full screen. Although I've found a fix for this on the ubuntu forums. I haven't tried it out yet.

@ Kenji

I've got XGL working on an ageing P3, 384MB of RAM and Geforce2 Ultra :D Although I have to say that using openSUSE became unbareable, it's pretty slow. However, XGL runs MUCH BETTER on Ubuntu and the performance is actually quite respectable. I don't get the kind of quick screen response as Matt does with his laptop and XGL though :D

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Shift+F9 gets rain, I edited my previous post as I said it was just F9 which is incorrect.
    You mean the part where all the Windows come into view and are all separated out and shrinked to fit on the page, that's F8. It allows you to easily see what windows are open and running, then you can click on one and you'll be taken to it, it'll return the windows to normal and then take you to that window if it's on a different desktop, if it's on the same desktop that window will be at the front in focus.

Just pressing F9 does the same thing but it only does it with the windows on the current desktop.

7. megamaced

Gotcha, but the rain is still no-go. Did you change some settings for the rain module in the Beryl Manager?

I like the transparancy effects, like holding ALT+Scroll wheel. Pretty neat :)

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

In the Beryl Settings Managet there's a 'Water Effect' section, that's where the shortcut setting for the rain is located, make sure that section is checked to get rain.

9. megamaced

It doesn't want to work. Nevermind.

Are you using the 'beerorkid' repository? There seems to be updates for Beryl and XGL almost every day. I upgraded yesterday and got a load of new effects :)

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I think I am, I got some updates today, using Beryl 0.1.1 now. I've got a few new effects for the Animations.

11. megamaced

W00t! Just tried the HOWTO and full screen games are OK now

Instructions are here

12. megamaced

Ok, *some* games work with this hack. Basically what i've done now is to create two sessions, one with XGL and one without. When I want to play games I won't run XGL