Kubuntu problems

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by RHochstenbach, Dec 6, 2007.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

After many problems, I decided to give Linux a new chance. So I downloaded the DVD of Kubuntu Gutsy (7.10).

It didn't detect the correct screen settings, even after installing the nvidia driver (the nvidia glx new driver). So I manually changed the type of screen. I got a Samsung Syncmaster 223BW. It wasn't listed, so I chose the 225 BW. After pressing Apply, the screen suddenly reported that there is no signal (I chose Digital, as it is connected using DVI). Even after a reboot, no signal.

What I wrong here guys? And if it's because I chose the wrong screen, how can I use the correct driver? The screen (223 BW) wasn't listed there.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:good:, however, Gutsy will not be officially released until next April the "real" 7.10 was Feisty, so, expect problems, personally i don't anything before it is officially released use DVD builds because they are not updated as regular as the CD's
    has Kubuntu automatically made a backup or your xorg.config, if it has, just rename the old xorg.config or don't start X and enter
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    to reconfigure X before X starts[ot]Kubuntus Safe mode[/ot]BTW: trying to find a gutsy daily build .iso cos Feisty had one

Edit: BTW: i'm wrong, Feisty was 7.04 & Gutsy is 7.10, sorry :doh: :doh: :doh: i'm still using Feisty maybe i'll upgrade, hmm :thinking:

Edit: 8.04 will be Hardy Heron, blame Windoze, it's responsible for nearly everything else!

3. RHochstenbach

How can I get into safe mode? I can only choose between Kubuntu and Windows Vista.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well if you can't access it from your boot menu, <Ctrl><Alt><backspace> after you log out
    BTW: i've edited the quote from Wikipedia

Source

5. RHochstenbach

Nothing happens when I press these buttons. And I can't log out because I can't see anything on the screen.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

during the shutdown proccess click logout insted of shutdown
    if nothing on screen, just reboot by pressing & holding the power button for about 4 secs, however, your system may differ as the setting to shutdown the system after 4 secs is in the BIOS

BTW: personally i always use the safe boot method because i can't press Ctrl Alt Backspace because my right arm is Knacked

7. RHochstenbach

I can reboot when doing that. But at reboot I can only choose between kubuntu and vista. When I choose Kubuntu, the screens loses the signal.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

so, one way is: boot a LiveCD & mount your root partition and restore or rewrite your xorg.config & Kubun should boot fine

Edit: basically your xorg.conf needs tweaking, post it & i'll have a look at it

Edit: it may look like bad, but, it's not

9. RHochstenbach

How do I mount a partition?

10. RHochstenbach

I've removed Kubuntu from my system, as it became annoying. I'll stick to Vista (never had problems with it).
    Thanks anyway ;)

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ther are many ways
    • create a directory like /mnt/kbunroot with
      Code:
      md /mnt/kbunroot[/quote]& [code]mount /dev/<partition you want to mount> /mnt/kbunroot
    • edit you fstab
    although personally i'd run system settings from the K menu & goto advanced > disk & filesystems & click Admin mode - no password, & create a new mount point by selecting you root partition & click new and enter the new mount point a <ok>

BTW: i'm using Feisty, so, it may be different

BTW: HWF now ok, as i said

12. Addis

Addis The King

You really shouldn't be having those problems with it. It's those rare issues that piss me off.

Don't forget to try it again in future.

13. RHochstenbach

I'm giving openSUSE 10.3 a try. Hopefully that distro suits me better. :)
    In the past I've tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Mandriva, and I didn't like any of them.

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i've being meaning to try openSUSE but never got around to it, but, i think i'll get it & try it as a VM & see what it's like

BTW: it can't be bad because mega uses it

Edit: downloading 10.3 now

15. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I have been using openSUSE 10.3 as my main desktop of late. I've been running the KDE varient on my main desktop and the GNOME varient on my second machine. OpenSUSE is quite polished, it's got good hardware support and YaST is quite good, if a little slow. However something in the last week has changed my way of thinking about what a Linux operating system should be about. The other day I installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon in a VM at work and I absolutely LOVED it!! Yes I am refering to Ubuntu, not Kubuntu! Ubuntu and GNOME are so polished and integrated in such a way that it is perfection. The GNOME desktop is lovely. There I have said it!! Ubuntu 7.10 is an excellent distro in terms of it's simplicity and ease of use, but at the same time it gives you the ability to tweak a little further if thats what you like! Compiz integrates beautifully, the brown theme is attractive (in my opinion) and the desktop gives a general feel of professionalism.
    My opinion about Kubuntu now is of somebody just lumping KDE onto Ubuntu and not given a second thought about it! Kubuntu is so far behind Ubuntu that it's a disgrace to associate it with Ubuntu!

In the new year I will remove openSUSE and crown Ubuntu 8.04 LTS as my main desktop. The LTS will ensure a stable release which I can enjoy until the next LTS release. Sure I will miss the KDE applications, especially Amarok and Kaffiene, but the integration and polish of Ubuntu GNOME is such that I can't resist it any longer! :)

16. donkey42

donkey42 plank

thankies mega, i do realize that you will probably be one of the last truly knowledgeable PC users, so, i want to learn as much as possible from people like you, so i can be more helpful in the future, & as Wiki doesn't provide truly correct info, however, it does provide info that is easily editable to make it fairly easy to make accurate posts using Wiki as a source

sh1t, i've just realized the importance of true info & i don't feel i'm up to the task, however, i will try (brain damage included) to provide as much correct info as possible

BTW: i will be relying on my bookmarks (foxmark updated) & Wiki

if you can, if you wake up dead one morning can you pwease PM me[ot]LOL[/ot]personally i would prefer to fully understand what i may be advising people on in the future, but, i don't think that will be possible

i'm downloading Ubuntu 7.10 now, although, i'll probably run it as a VM to try it

17. Addis

Addis The King

I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 as well on my desktop pc, and while it seemed ok at first it didn't seem as nippy or as intuitive.
    Each to his own, but I don't think Kubuntu is as bad as you're making out. I agree that it is behind Ubuntu in terms of integration and polish, true that it does seem as if KDE is being lumped together, but it's still mainly Debian underneath. I also don't use 3D desktop. It's nice, but at the moment for me its unnecessary, and sometimes causes buggy behaviour with heavy window work. Not sure about the latest version.

I don't see why you have to get rid of your KDE applications. I sometimes run GNOME on my desktop, and KDE applications work fine. Don't tell me that the crap that is Rhythmbox (whoops sorry) can compete with Amarok. OK I'm biased :p.