Lan to Lan VPN

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by BoBBYI986, Mar 23, 2010.

1. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi all I've got a problem with my vpn setup, I currently have vpn setup to my dads house which is 2 doors away from my house, where i've ran a cable across my neighbours roof to my house (saves me alot of money) into a 8 port gigabit switch with my pc and file store attached. I get my mate to connect to my vpn so we can play games via vpn but the problem is we are both on different subnets his subnet is 255.255.255.255 and mine is different so when i create a game as a lan game, he can't see the game or even try to connect via direct ip address e.g. 192.168.1.20. I told him to buy a vpn router and we where going to try a lan to lan vpn but will I still have the same issues I have now where he can't see or join my lan games? or will that problem be resolved? He also connects to my vpn to share files etc and that works fine.

Thanks in advance for any replies, much apreciated.

BTW: we are both on different internal ip ranges, Im on 10.20.30.xxx range and he is on 192.168.0.xxx

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

If you are using a PC to receive the VPN connection, you must specify that VPN users can get access to the local network. There's a how-to on how to configure this for Windows Vista and WIndows 7 here: Windows Vista PPTP VPN server Mini How-To

XP should be something similar to this.

Just to avoid confusion, the IP addresses and subnets may be completely different. The required subnet and IP address change for the VPN connection happens at the receiving end. The other computer won't even notice this change.

edit: I've just read your post carefully. Do you actually have an ethernet cable running from one house to another? If that's true, you're actually having a local network which doesn't even require VPN to work.

3. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi thanks for your reply, I have a vpn router which is in my dads house which is also my gateway to the internet. I also have the vpn users setup on the router. I've ran the ethernet cable across to my house into my switch so it's basically all one network. I don't have a phone line you see don't intend on getting one either, so i just use my dads for wan. My friends connects to my vpn router from his house which is about half a mile away. I setup the game on my windows 7 OS on far cry 2 as a lan game, my friend can't see the game or even connect to it via ip address. But he can see all my file shares etc and rdp, vnc onto every machine on my lan. He's on a different broadcast address from me, I told him to use ipconfig /all and it shows the ip address my dads vpn router assigned to him followed by a subnet of 255.255.255.255.
    but on my network my subnet is 255.0.0.0 I've been told this will effect it. A colleague of mine at work told me to try a static route of wan: 255.255.255.255, subnet: 255.255.255.255, ip: 10.20.30.100 (internal ip of the host) which made no difference. Also my friends vpn connection on his pc when he dials the connection is set to send all traffic to my dads router (use it as the gateway). So i was wondering if he buys a vpn router and we setup a lan to lan vpn will that make it so he can see my lan games? connect to my lan games? or will it make no difference? Thanks

4. RHochstenbach

Using the subnet mask of 255.255.255.255, you render the IP addresses useless. If the IP addresses use the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range, it's a Class A network so you should use 255.0.0.0.

But does the VPN router have Passthrough enabled for VPN connections? Also, what encryption method (PPTP, L2TP, IPSec) do you use?

5. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, vpn passthrough is not an option on my router all it has is " use as default route" which is enabled so i presume that means it uses the vpn router as the gateway. I use PPTP

6. RHochstenbach

Are you able to choose a custom port in each game? If so, make one up. Let's say you choose port 5000.

You should then forward the port from the router to the computer where the game is running from. Make sure you use a static IP address on that computer. Now let's say the Internal IP of the computer is 192.168.2.10, then forward External TCP port 5000 to Internal TCP Port 5000 of IP address 192.168.2.10 (the IP address of the computer where the game is running on).

Now if your external IP address (the Internet address) for example would be 85.25.40.48, then your friend would have to connect to that IP on the port you've forwarded. So for example 85.25.40.48:5000.

You can use any port number higher than 2000. If the game's port number can't be changed, then forward the port number that the game specifies.

In this case you don't need a VPN connection :)

edit: Also don't forget to put that port number on the whitelist of the Router's Firewall (in the exceptions list), otherwise the connection may still fail.