Laptop upgrades

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by harakim, Dec 30, 2005.

1. harakim

harakim Big Geek

Do they make laptop memory faster than 533 mhz and is it just like upgrading desktop memory?
    Can you upgrade processors in laptops? Like, say, from a Celeron M to a Pentium M? I did this in my desktop in the reverse, which makes me wonder... also NewEgg sells a 2 ghz one for 250 dollars, and this + memory would pretty much make my computer top of the line. (for 900 dollars total spent)

Laptop
    The specs on mine are:
    1,5ghz celeron m
    256mb ddr2 pc4200 ram
    Windows XP home
    Rest isn't really important

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depending on the laptop, you may be able to upgrade the CPU. DDR2-667 is available for the desktop, but I don't know if it's available for laptops. If you don't have a CPU that can take advantage of that speed (namely a Pentium at this point in time), you'd be wasting your money. Actually, right now your RAM is overkill in terms of top speeds when paired with your CPU, much less a Pentium-class CPU. The memory is in a different packaging than desktop RAM, but as far as upgrading, it's really no more complex than upgrading/switching out RAM on your desktop.

3. harakim

harakim Big Geek

How do I find out if I can upgrade the cpu on my laptop?

4. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Contacting the manufacturer, reading up at other forums or possibly even the manual will tell you. There are other ways i'm sure.