Laptop won't start charging unless in sleep mode, or turned off.

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by sbs9, Jul 22, 2010.

1. sbs9

sbs9 Geek Trainee

I am having problems with my Gateway laptop.

The laptop suddenly stops charging and won't start charging unless I put into sleep mode (Windows) or suspend(Ubuntu) or I shut it down.

I have checked the power supply with a voltmeter and it reads 19V. I replaced the battery thinking it was the problem but it has not helped.

I contacted Gateway and their Support Staff told me to install a Firmware update (which I had already installed.) I installed it again and had no success. This problem is very annoying, especially when I'm burning DVDs.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What is the make and model of this gateway ? I have a Gateway laptop with almost the same problem, it turned out the battery has a reset switch on it, It was giving me all kinds of problems.
    I even removed the motherboard.. look on the battery to see if you have have a reset button on it..

3. johnny.dacu

johnny.dacu Geek Trainee

Maybe is an issue with additional software (driver) who handle charging process. try to update it

4. sbs9

sbs9 Geek Trainee

Model Number is M-6823A. No reset button.

5. edijs

edijs Programmer

Had the same problem with an IBM thinkpad, though.

Solution: change the charger.

6. sbs9

sbs9 Geek Trainee

I've already tried with another charger (a Universal charger) and I observed the same behavior.