linux and why?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by pcgeek, Nov 14, 2008.

1. pcgeek

pcgeek Geek Trainee

should i use linux and what are the disadvantages please explain thank u very much :p

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yes, i think everyone should use it, but as for disadvantages to using Linux apart from having to configure stuff & learning to do things very differently there are no disadvantages to using Linux, there are however advantages to using Linux, i'll list just a few:
    • the OS is usually free - unlike the OS from a company starting with - m & ending in - icrosoft (all updates are also free)
    • most software is free (OSS)
    • no need for AV - viruses do exist on Linux, the OS is virus resistant & a password is required to do any real damage & about 99.9% of viruses are targeted towards the aforementioned OS
    • i don't have a software firewall installed - because i have a hardware firewall built into my router
    • if software crashes which some software occasionally does, it doesn't take the entire OS down with it
    Microsoft have achieved some amazing things with their family of OSs but to be honest, to achieve Linux's level of security i think it would be easier to write an OS from scratch, hope that'll do i'm fed up of typing for now:chk:

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I beg to differ.... System crashes in Linux are just as spectacular as in Windows. Granted they are fewer and far between.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you can beg all you want
    well erm erm erm

hang on i think i remember 1, it may have being Swiftfox then again maybe not, but ksysguard fixes problm apps by killing the procedure

anyway, back on topic,

that 1 problem i think it was fixed be pressing reset & bootup came around like nothing had happened (obviously fsch ran at boot)

apart from that the only prob i personally have run into is running out of free space on my /home partition & obviously was unable to log in, but that was my fault
    i'll have to take your work for it, as i've only personally seen the 1 that needed a reboot & none that totally kill the OS

BTW: now using Debian Lenny b2, regarding the kernel, quilt is a b1tch

thank you Saba for keeping me on my toes

5. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

Huh??? I have A hardware firewall built into my router...which eliminates the need for firewall software for windows.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

[ot]
    Software firewalls on Windows are typically to prevent untrusted software from making outbound connections, whereas simple NAT routers only prevent unsolicited inbound connections.[/ot]

See the following thread for my own views on the topic:

http://www.hardwareforums.com/new-linux-install-20868/#post128854

7. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

I am going to give you Linux guys an opportunity to show your stuff.

Once I have transferred all of the files off of my old computer onto my new one I am going to wipe the hard drive...and use that machine for Linux operating systems.

My old machine is no slouch. I have tried Ubuntu Daper Drake on it and was not satisfied. So We will experiment and see just what it is today that you have to offer.

From that experience...I will make my choice...So the proof will be in the pudding.

edit: As for the router issue it is the only firewall that I use....And have had no problems.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well i started on Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper & stayed with her for about 2 years (obviously moving up soon after a new kubuntu was released) i'm now on Debian Lenny beta2, apart from the annoying config you have to do (but you only need do it once, & probably a tweak here & there)

tbh i'm thinking of sticking with Debian, maybe one day i'll setup a dual boot with Debian & kubuntu

kubuntu is a lot like Windows graphically but very different under the hood / bonnet, basically all the*ubuntu's are essentially the same OS but they use a different WM (Window Manager) e.g. Ubuntu uses Gnome (sh1tty brown & ugly), Kubuntu uses KDE (K Destop Environment), & Xubuntu uses the lightweight (good for an old system unlike kde) Xfce WM