Linux Desktop

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Anti-Trend, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, ATI's Windows drivers have pretty much always lagged behind NVidia. Linux & BSD drivers even more so - NVidia PWNS on ATI for drivers in Linux, there's no comparison.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

my linux mandriva 2005 LE box is now up :) waiting for some tiem to work on it :)

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i'm thinking of getting linux (probably mandriva), then creating a partition on my hard drive for it and installing it as well as windows so i can chose what to use. Just out of curiosity, can you get a version of msn messenger for linux? i am always chatting with my friends on there and i know some people dont like it but hey it saves money in phone conversations/text messages...

4. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Of course. Typically for Linux you get one program that supports just about every protocol imaginable, it'll probably come pre-packaged with your distro (hell, even Slackware has it!).

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Matt555 likes this.
  5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

nice, now i need to get me a copy of linux, probably mandriva, i'll most likely get it delivered rather than downloading, any ideas about getting it in the u.k?
    Edit:
    Do you think that Mandriva will be the easiest to start with, as i am a linux n00b. (when i get it expect a lot of posts for help :p)

6. ThePenguinCometh

Yes, subscribe to Linux Format. They've got at least one full major distro on their DVD every month. In the last few months I've gotten Slackware, Gentoo, Madriva, Debian, SuSE, Fedora Core and several others for 6.50 a month, not a bad deal. This months mag has Debian and Fedora Core so you can get those easily enough.

Matt555 likes this.
  7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

cool, well i'll have to look into that thanx for the help, i'll now just go and read up on partitioning and installing so i know what i'm doing (i hope)

8. ThePenguinCometh

Cool. Good luck. If you need any help or have any questions at all let me know.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

okay, i'm thinking of partitioning and allocating about 15Gb for linux, is there a way to do this when installing mandriva or would i have to do it beforehand using a partition program (i want to partition but want to keep data on winows partition) i currently have one partition for backup wth 4Gb on it and the rest is just for windows, i want to split the windows partition up and allocate some space for linux,

10. ThePenguinCometh

Personally I always do the partitioning by hand using fdisk (definitely NOT recommended unless you know what you are doing/can afford to screw everything up) though most of the newbie-friendly distros come with their own GUI-based partitioner. Your simplest method of setting up a dual-boot system is to wipe the hard-drive completely and start from scratch. There are tools for resizing NTFS partitions that again are probably included with your distro but there's always a danger of something going wrong so make sure you've got all the important stuff backed up.

Another simple method of setting up a dual-boot system if you don't want to have to re-install Windows is to install a second hard-drive and install Linux on that (but don't try to put Windows on the slave, it doesn't like it at all).

By the way if you've got a spare 4GB partition then maybe your best bet is to use that. Most default installations will fit on that quite happily and if you've got things like movies, mp3's etc, that take up a lot of space you can leave them on the Windows partition and still use them under Linux. Linux will quite happily read NTFS partitions (though there are some problems with altering it) so you could put a reasonable installation on the 4GB partition that should give you enough to play around with.

One last thing, once you've decided on the best method of partitioning your hard-drive let me know how you will do it and how much space you have. Partitioning a Linux drive is something of an art form and it's taken me years to work out the best way of doing it so I've got a few tips that will make your life easier in the future.

Before I forget, here's some links that might help you:

http://phoenix.csc.calpoly.edu/~kvoelker/cgi-bin/counter/cis122/dual-boot.cgi
    http://geocities.com/thekornerr/book/en_04.html
    http://www.linux-faqs.com/faq/misc/ntfs.html#3.0

Matt555 likes this.
  11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

thanx a lot, that really helps :D i'll let you know what i decide to do and when i decide to do it, it may not be for some time yet but i wil try to a.s.a.p

12. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

i will have a multi os computer :p, i will have windows xp, linux, windows server 2003, and when vista come out, windows vista.

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

cool, i read an article in a magazine about a guy who installed like 50 os's on his computer (most of them i had never heard of)

14. Willz

yea, i read about that on a website, they were mostly linux builds i think.

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

"hmmm i wonder which OS i should use today?"
    lol what a choice...

16. Willz

well, devil linux is what i will use on my old computer for a hardware firewall when i get my main computer up and running properly, this computer i am using now (main computer) is my first priority as its the best out of the 2.

17. ThePenguinCometh

If I decide to try out an other OS I just get another computer. Much easier.

That's what I've got running, it's great!

18. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

cool, i'm going to try smoothwall for my hardware firewall

19. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I've talked to Anti-Trend on building a firewall, and he's strongly recommended IPcop. I've used it and it's really easy, you don't need much hardware to run it (Not even a video card if you can boot without one)

20. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

That's right, IPCop is a 100% open-source fork from the Smoothwall project. It's like a free version of Smoothwall on steroids, and it requires no prior Linux knowledge to install & use. Excellent distro, highly recommended.