Linux Desktop

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Anti-Trend, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Wow, Linux is getting a lot of attention here today! Good thing too. I used to have a pretty tightly secured Slackware box directly connected to the 'net. My security logs always made for interesting reading. Now I've got seven machines sitting behind a Devil Linux firewall. The security logs? Empty!

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Lol, you may be able to afford a new computer just like that, but i cant :p, am stuck with these 2 computers for a long long time, just hope they dont start giving me even more :swear: that they do now when i am at college.

......................................................................................................

how exatly do i set up a hardware firewall on devil linux, the computer i use for a hardware firewall wills till be used for windows, its only got a 20gb hard drive, so could someone tell me how to set a hardware firewall on devil linux up??

3. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Actually most of my computers were throw-aways that I salvaged from the dump and got running again. Every weekend I go to the local amenity tip and pick up 2-3 computers plus LOTS of spare parts for about £30. I have 3 machines that I actually bought new (well, built mostly from new parts) and probably about fifteen more potentially that were throw-aways once I get all the parts tested and working. You can get a pretty decent machine by rescuing an old PC from the skip and putting Linux on there. Then, with one computer set up as a data server so that you can keep all your files on one PC and use the same ones across a network, you've basically got your own computer lab/farm/bank.

1. Download the ISO.
    2. Burn the ISO onto a CD.
    3. Get a PC with two network cards and NO hard-drive.
    4. Boot the PC from the CD.
    5, Run setup.

Eh viola!

That's a contradiction in terms. If your setting up a Devil Linux firewall then you're talking about a PC that on 24-7. No reason to have a dual boot and no reason to have a hard-drive. My firewall doesn't even have a keyboard and monitor attached. You *could* of course install Devil Linux onto a hard-drive and have a dual-boot system but it was initially designed as a firewall and is used best either as that or as a server so a dual-boot system still doesn't make sense.

My advice to you, if you still want to use your old computer for Windows, is to get yourself an old machine (mine's a 300MHz K6-II with 128MB RAM) from the skip or from someone who has one they don't use or wherever and use that one as your firewall.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Ditto. I've got just about identical hardware to ThePenguinCometh, except mine's running IPCop. One fundamental rule of networking and security: Never make your gateway an endpoint. In other words, your firewalls and workstations should be completely different things.

5. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

ok...., i only have one network card in each computer, so... i cant have a hardware firewall, the only one i can have 2 network cards in is my main computer, and stuff turning my main computer into a hardware firewall. :\

at the moment my main computer is like a file server to my old one, as if the old computer wants anything installing or i want music i get it from downloads file in downloads/music hardrive partition, but i will consider turning my old computer into just a file server were everyhitng is installed if the electric bills dont turn out to be extreamly high as this past 3 months i have being using computer more than ever so if they happen to be ok, i can have my fileserver, and mum wont crack up and go mental, and everyone/exeryhting is happy :).