Lite-ON=teh suX0r

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Big B, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Oh my god, why do they suck so hard? 2nd Lite-ON burner to go bad before a year is up. Congratulations, Lite-ON, you've earned a place on my suckass list right beside Epox, FIC, and Memorex.

Ordered a Samsung to replace this crapper.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Samsung = :good:

Any drive w/plastic lense = :swr:

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

That'S odd 'cause as far as I can remember, that's the first time I hear (read read) someone say that Lite-on sucks that bad.

But I agree with Samsung. I have an old Samsung CD-RW 8/8/32 that I paid $60 USD back then that still works like a charm. On the other hand, I have an almost brand new AOpen CD-RW that can't be recognized by Nero unless it's a fairly recent version. I haven't scrapped a cd with it yet though. (Actually I have scrapped many but it was my own fault :swt: )

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, there's issues between Lite-ON drives and the nForce 2 chipset, or more accurately, nVidia's software IDE driver---which I wasn't using anyway. Uplugging the IDE cable allows me to actually eject the damn thing.

5. Anti-Trend

For the record, all of my current optical drives are Lite-On, and I haven't had a singe problem with any of them. As a matter of fact, I just replaced an Optiwrite burner who's plastic lense finally warped to the point of being unusable. Then again, I'm one of those VIA chipset people. ;)

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I do have to agree: Via is good. Some people are still like "Oh, VIA sucks...their chipsets are horrible...blah,blah,blah,blah." I've used most of their KT series chipsets and not had a problem. The nForce 2's main selling point is the locked AGP/PCI busses.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I say it all depends what you wanna do with it.

It's not appealing to the enthusiast crowd but I've used a KT333 and it's been very good to me.

Also, they seem to have taken the edge over the nforce3.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. I've used the KT133, KT266, KT333 (briefly, no thanks to Epox), KT400, and the KT600. I fail to see the problem with the Via chipsets. I'd like to see how the KT880 performs, though. Soyo seems to have a very nice one due out soon.

9. Anti-Trend

I just put together a Linux box for a friend with a KT600 chipset... damn that thing is sweet. ;) nForce Chipsets are a big pain in the ass, especially in Linux.