Locating hardware information in existing PC

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SirDeity, Feb 10, 2003.

1. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

I was just wondering where to look to find out exactly what motherboard and what type of memory my computer is using. I looked under Device Manager, but it doesn't have an specific names or specs. I didn't see any "Memory" or "Motherboard" catagory either. There is mention under system devices, but the only thing thats listed is driver details, etc... nothing of any relevance.

Do I have to literally open the case and read the label to see? Or is there some place else to look?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, you probably do. You've got that Athlon, right? You can have DDR or SDRAM, so you'll have to check. The cards is all you should have to look at. Most other stuff should show up in device manager (like the HDD, CD-ROM, etc)

3. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

"ddr is actually DDR SDRAM" --Harrack

Isn't this a contradiction?

Is DDR RAM the same as SDRAM? Or are they two "types" of RAM? I always thought they were two types, but I think harrack said differently. .... .... ..........:confused:

4. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

SDRAM is simply SDRAM. DDR SDRAM is twice the speed of simply SDRAM. Same name, just with the DDR tacked onto it. And more pins in its connector.

5. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Then what Big B intended to say was, "You can have DDR SDRAM or SDRAM, so you'll have to check."

Sorry for the confusion.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

yes that is what he intended to say.

I didn't want to make things more complex for you, but I just wanted you to know exactly what it was called so you won't be lost when you come accross this expression. it is commonly called DDR though.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I guess I should've been more specific.

Not on the ball here

8. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

It's okay. The more information the better. The longer the post, the more excited I am to read it. No problem Big B. Everyone has their typos. I was just confused for the minute there, it's nothing unusual. :D