Logitech G15 Keyboard USB Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Willz, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi, whenever i try to plug my 128mb Memory stick into one of the Logitech G15 Keyboard USB Ports, i get a message on the screen down near the taskbar saying that the USB Hub Power has been exceeded, i know its a keyboard, but, a little memory stick exceeding the power??, the ports on it are for things like gaming headsets, controllers etc.., and its telling me the power is been exceeded with a tiny little memory stick :s, any ideas why this is happening, if it could be a windows problem?

2. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

its bcoz your G15 is connected to a USB1.1 port, use the USB 2 port.

3. Willz

my G15 is connected to a usb 2.0 port in the back of my computer.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Given the whiz-bang nature of the G15, power could be a problem. You might want to check the manual for your motherboard and see if there's either a BIOS option or jumper that deals with USB voltage.

5. Willz

Ok, but wont increasinng it possibly destory the keyboard?

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

[​IMG]
    When I bought a USB HDD, i got dat type of cable...It has one extra pin to hook. That shop guy told me that its because somelaptops doesnt provide enough electricity with one wire so needed to hook the second one in dat case...
    What type of cable u have with ur Keyboard?

7. Willz

Usb..

8. Karanislove

does it have two pins to hook like that pic above?

9. Willz

No, just a normal usb cable thats hardwired to the keyboard.

10. Karanislove

Go To Device Manger > Under Universal Serial Bus > Double Click on USB Root HUB, look under Power, note how much power its giving it to us Keyboard nd match it with the power requirements of your kb manual.....

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No. Not unless the USB controller is malfunctioning. The voltages are usually to make sure there's power if you want to start up the system with a USB keyboard key or mouse.

If you're running it through a hub and not the back of your system, I suggest you do that too.

12. Willz

I am running throough the main usb ports on the system.

Maybe its because the 2 USB ports on the keyboard are 1.1 instead of 2.0?

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While that could be the problem...I don't see any logical reason. My guess is that the LCD on the G15 takes up enough juice that the hub it's on won't be able to power other devices that lack external power.

14. Willz

ah i see :(, logitech is so stupid :\

15. dark racer

dark racer Geek Trainee

uhh i had the same problem as you my friend and after reading above "Go To Device Manger > Under Universal Serial Bus > Double Click on USB Root HUB, look under Power"
    i noticed i had 5 root hubs now it displayed the keyboard as a generic usb hub (4ports) and i noticed bolth my mouse and my keyboard where on the same hub . bolth needing 500mA. but the hub they where on had 1 port . i switched my keyboard to another usb port . one whith 8 ports available . each whith 500mA so a total of 4000mA now available to the keyboard instead of the 500mA it was charing whith the mouse (don't really get how 2 usb ports can be 1 hub btw ) and then 1 other port be capable of handeling 8 devices at a time if you could connect them.
    anyway just try evry port you have maybe one of em has enough power

16. dark racer

dark racer Geek Trainee

just noticed something . the usb port of the g15 only puts out 100mA . (my 8G flashdrive needing 200mA still does not work)
    but atleast my 16G flashdrive works it only needs 100mA (does explain why it is slower)