Look at this collector's piece!

Discussion in 'Bargain Zone' started by megamaced, Jan 9, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I found this while browsing on eBay UK:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seller's description:

[​IMG]

A beautiful and rare example of a Compaq Portable 486/66 PC. This classic and elegant machine is dated about 1990. It is in full working condition and very good external appearance. It's style is intermediate between a desktop and laptop PC; it packages the system unit, LCD screen and keyboard into a compact "sewing machine" form factor for easy transportation.

MS DOS 6 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 are loaded and the machine is tested and working just fine;

A unique class of machine that is no longer available, this would be an excellent addition to anyone's collection of vintage PCs.

Brief Specification:

Intel 486/DX66 processor
    16MB main memory
    200MB hard drive and standard floppy drive
    Integral monochrome LCD screeen about 10 inches diagonal
    External colour VGA port, keyboard port, mouse port , parallel port, serial port, SCSI port
    Two EISA espansion card slots
    Mouse and power cord
    Software loaded is MS-DOS 6.0 amd MS Windows for Workgroups 3.11
    80 pages Hardware Systems manual included

There are five days to go, no bids, and a starting price of £24.99 (P&P £20). A bargain, and a real peice of computing history in my opinion! :)

You could install Linux on it and use it as a server (as Anti-Trend might say :D )
    -----------------------------------------------------------

As far as I am aware, I am within the rules as I am not selling this item, nor am I providing a link. If I am in violation, please move this to the dumpster! :)

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

No you're not violating any policy, although you did post in the wrong section, but I've moved it. As for me recommending you make a server out of that, I really don't think it'd be much good for a server in anyone's book. Linux is a great OS, but it's not magical! :D However, you could use it as a Unix-style Linux terminal or a standalone Internet station with lynx (web browser), pine (email), ssh (encrypted remote access), ircii (IRC client), and vim (advanced text editor). It wouldn't be pretty, but it would actually be functional! That being said, even my firewall is like 10x more powerful than that 'beast' of a rig. ;)

3. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

wow what a piece o junk

4. Addis

Addis The King

Junk? Thats history, I wouldn't mind having that to play around with.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I like old tech.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

EISA? That's a new one for me, ISA was about as primitive as I knew of and those were in use not to long ago.

7. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

EISA - Enhanced form of ISA, which allows for 32-bit data transfers, while maintaining support for 8- and 16-bit expansion boards.
    But its bus speed, like ISA, is only 8 MHz.
    Hope it clears that up :)

8. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Addis...have you been to the back of my loft? We have older rigs than taht.

9. megamaced

EISA cards a MASSIVE! :) They add an extra bit at the end of an ISA slot (which themselves are bigger then a PCI slot). An EISA slot is normally as long as the distance of the motherboard! :D

They were primarly used for graphics cards, back in the day. Although they weren't that popular back then.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh, so they're actually newer than ISA, I should have made that connection myself. Thanks for clearing that up for me dudes. What predated ISA though?

11. megamaced

That's too far back for me to know :)

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

[ot]I know of MCA from IBM, VESA (pre AGP) but don't know how they relate to age of ISA [/ot]

13. megamaced

In 1987, IBM moved to replace the ISA bus with their proprietary Micro Channel Architecture (MCA) in an effort to regain control of the PC architecture, and the PC market. The system was far more advanced than ISA, and computer manufacturers responded with the Extended Industry Standard Architecture (EISA) and later, the VESA Local Bus (VLB). In fact, VLB used some parts originally intended for MCA due to the fact that component manufacturers already had the ability to manufacture it. Both were compatible expansions of the ISA standard. Neither became extraordinarily popular, however, and were soon succeeded by Intel's 32-bit Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI).

'Copied and pasted' from Wikipedia :)

ISA (in it's original 8-BIT format) dates back to 1981! To ask what came before ISA is like asking what came before the dinosaurs :p

Hehe, I wasn't wrong.....

[​IMG]

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks man, wow that's a big mamma huh?

15. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Has it been sold yet / whats the bidding upto?

and if THIS can be a webserver, im sure that 'computer' would make a fine one (comapred to the potato powerd link).

the web server in the link:
    [​IMG]
    I love it!!!!

16. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I didn't say you couldn't do it, I said it wouldn't be a good server. :)

17. megamaced

78KHz is pretty good for a load of old rotting potatoes :D . I can hear the old pensioners say, 'back in my day, in war, we didn't have bloody computers, we used potatoes"!

Think of all the things that could be solved if we used potatoes for computers! We wouldn't have to worry about recycling or disposing of the older models, cos we'd just eat 'em :D

We would all become obsessed with gardening! After all, the person who grows the biggest potatoe, will surely have the faster machine!

We'd be talking about the 'King Edward potatoe graphics card' or the 'Yorkshire finest sound card'! :D

Hey guys, this is my new build! It's got a 85KHz Intel Potatoe 3, and 256b PRRAM (Potatoe Rate RAM). What do you think?

[​IMG]

My old motherboard is below. As you can see, it suffered from leaking capacitors:

[​IMG]

Back to the original topic of conversation! The Compaq rig is still at £24.99 with no bidders

18. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lol nice rig!

19. Sheephead

Sheephead Geek Trainee

Addis i dont think ud be able to play around with it, it looks like it will fall to pieces if you touch it

20. megamaced

Just thought i'd give this thread an ending...

The Compaq 486 didn't sell! No one was interested, not a peep. I guess the owner is taking it to the scrap yard now :D He probably paid over a grand for it new!