lookign at remote pc software for an old lady with moderate intuition about puters

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by burgerman, Feb 8, 2010.

1. burgerman

burgerman Geek Trainee

Does anybody recommend a good remote desktop type software compatible for windows vista and windows 7?

it needs to be soemthign easy that an old lady can use to connect to her home pc and check her emails on that home based pc when she is overseas

the home pc is windows vista and the laptop she'll use overseas (new zealand) will be windows 7

I had a look at Symantec pcAnywhere 12.5 and she was ready for to buy that on the spot but i read a review that stated it needed a third party VPN to work.. somehow i worry that it wont work because of the interactions between vista, 7, vpn and symantec.

if you guys thinks its ok then i'll recommend it.. but i dont really have a clue about VPN's so if i have to get a seperate vpn i'd like some recommendations on a VPN software.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

lookign at remote pc software for an old lady with moderate intuition about puter

TightVNC has a java-based web client that works pretty well and is totally OS/browser agnostic (just needs Java). However, she'd better have a good password, or that box will be a spam relay in no time flat. Also, she'll of course need an open port on her NAT router / plastic telco modem thingy, and some dynamic DNS service to assure she can always connect to it if her IP happens to change.

3. valamar

valamar Geek Trainee

lookign at remote pc software for an old lady with moderate intuition about puter

LiveMesh software has one (owned by Microsoft i think)
    its actually a free remote storage (like dropbox) but the client allows you to remotely control your computer.
    Never had the chance to use it for remote control, but the interface is simple and has web access.

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

logmein, vnc, team viewer.

5. Shrini

Shrini Geek Trainee

You may try using gosupportnow remote support service. It works on both MAC and Windows computers and has no download of any kind.