Looking for help with computer display.

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by spicyburrito, Mar 13, 2014.

1. spicyburrito

spicyburrito Geek Trainee

Computer specs below.
    I just did a fresh install of win 7 and have a problem with the display. I dual boot with linux and have no problem there.
    The screen has a problem after I sign in and before I get to the desktop and also when I open many programs (Chrome browser, IE, dxdiag, gpu-z, picasa, nvidia control center, etc) For about 30 seconds it turns all light blue with thin horizontal lines about 1/8 in apart. The lines also have small dots evenly spaced along the lines. I have not seen any error messages and did not see any relevant errors in the logs.
    Gpu-z says the graphics card supports directx 9 and since I have directx 11 installed by default suspect that might be the problem.
    Dxdiag says I have directx 11 installed and no problems found.
    As a result of a google search for directx 9 I installed from the microsoft site directx 9.0c end user runtime but it did not help.
    The windows memory diagnostic says no problems.
    All the windows 7 updates are installed and all the drivers are up to date.
    The device manager does not complain about any drivers.
    The graphics card is running the nvlddmkm 9.18.13.783 (force ware 307.83)/win7 driver which is the latest according to the nvidia site.
    I did find a microsoft diagnostic for graphic problems but it turned off transparency and says all was fine.
    Computer Specs:
    Pentium D 960 3.6 Ghz dual core
    MB Asus P5LD2
    Nvidia geforce 7900 GT/GTO
    Monitor is lcd AOC 2330V.
    4 GB ram
    Appreciate any suggestions on how to stop the screen from screwing up.
    Thanks

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

I think problem lies in Windows Aero. Try Windows basic theme.

3. spicyburrito

No luck I tried the basic and classic themes but still get the screwed up display. I even get it when trying to switch between the aero, basic and classic themes.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Power supply?

5. spicyburrito

I doubt that the power supply is the cause.
    The graphics card is not very powerful. I did not have any problems with windows xp or linux. It happens only when I open a new program like chrome or firefox and after it is open I do not have any problems with it.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds like the wrong Video driver to me.. Did you install the driver for Nvidia geforce 7900 GT/GTO for Windows 7 ?

7. spicyburrito

I agree that is most likely a driver issue but I cannot find the right driver.
    I started with what I guess is the windows default driver 8.15.11.8593 (185.93).
    I went to the nvidia site and searched fro the driver and it came up with 307.38 plus an update 1.10.8. GPU-Z say I am running driver nvlddmhm 9.18.13.783 (Force Ware 307.83) /win7
    I tried to search for the latest drive via Device Manager utility and it says that the latest driver is installed.
    I don't know which other driver would work.
    Any help appreciated.

8. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

9. spicyburrito

THose are 64 bit drivers. I am running 32 bit Pentium D 960 3.6 Ghz.
    Good try.

10. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

11. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I use Windows 7 32 bit on all my low end Computers, Over six of them will have Windows7 32 bit.. The rest will have either 64 bit or Linux on them..
    SpicyBurrito : Try Installing a XP or Vista driver in Compatibility Mode ... That works for me..