Macbook Pro stuck at loading screen

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Callidus, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Callidus

Callidus Geek Trainee

So, last night I found that my Macbook Pro (Late 2007, Santa Rosa) wouldn't output to the screen or an external. I thought I had the dreaded video chipset failure that Apple reported more common for my model. However, when I started up today, after leaving the battery out for awhile, the screen started working again... but Mac OS X did not. I'm currently stuck at the Apple logo with the spinning loading thing. I've left it on for over 3 hours and it still stayed there. The laptop gets hot and the fans spin up to ludicrous speed. When I hold option down at boot, it shows my Windows partition and my Mac OS X partition, but instead, it's called "EFI Boot." Did my Mac OS X get corrupted somehow? Should I backup the contents of my drive and reinstall Snow Leopard? I've tried resetting my PRAM, inserting the Snow Leopard DVD and booting holding C, tried booting holding CMD+S to get to the terminal screen. It just ignores it all and goes tot he Apple screen, starts a grey progress bar, then sticks on the swirly loading icon infinitely. I'd appreciate suggestions.

Thanks for the help!

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

Hold down ALT (option key) while turning on the Macbook. You should now be able to select your Snow Leopard installation disc.

3. Callidus

Callidus Geek Trainee

Nope, sorry. Doesn't let me do that anymore, either, apparently. :/
    I'm probably having keyboard problems on top of it. It's been getting shoddier and shoddier even before this.

4. RHochstenbach

It sounds like a problem with your Logic Board. I'd suggest to go to an Apple Store and get it analyzed there.

5. Callidus

Callidus Geek Trainee

Really? It seems to me like it's just a corrupt Mac OS X installation, but I guess the fact that I can't seem to get it to recognize my keystrokes (though I know the keyboard at least partially works, I can toggle Caps Lock on and off) seems to indicate greater problems I guess.

Also, being out of warranty, the fact that the nearest Apple Store is over 150 miles away, and also that logic boards for this model run up to $1200, it seems like it would be far more practical to just get a new Macbook. Thoughts? I hear there's a new line coming out sometime very soon. Some files were discovered in Snow Leopard that indicate support for its existence, and a lot of rumors are saying possible Core i5's or i7's...

6. RHochstenbach

Are you able to connect a USB keyboard to your Macbook and test if that works?

7. Callidus

Callidus Geek Trainee

Yes, I tried that, too. It didn't work.
    Actually, briefly today, my keyboard started working again and I was able to boot into Windows. Then I booted the Snow Leopard disk and tried to repair the disk (which it claims is corrupt), but it failed, recommending backing up my files and erasing the drive. So, is the drive failing too, or just the file system? If I have to get a new Macbook, I'd prefer to keep this drive, as it's a 500GB Samsung I installed a year ago. But I digress, now the keyboard will no longer accept input, I'm having trouble retrieving my Snow Leopard disc, and now even the screen won't turn on again. I'm sure after some time, patience and effort it'll all temporarily "work" again, but screw it, I think I just need a new macbook. Thoughts?

8. RHochstenbach

I would suggest to ask it at macrumors.com. They might be able help you with this issue :)

9. Callidus

Callidus Geek Trainee

I'm taking it to a local repair shop who will send it to Apple for free for me. I'm going to get an estimate and let you guys know what it might be. Thanks!

10. liciniusjack

liciniusjack Geek Trainee

You may be facing problem regarding problem. What I suggest is that you should try to get in touch with helpline number. If you try with that it will sort out your problem more effectively. Wish you all the best.