mandrake install problem

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Sniper, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

ok been having problems while installing mandrake10, I sorted freezing out buy using "linux noapic nolapic" but now during setting up the boot loader
    I get a "insmod'ing module loop failed" error? I can just about spot this error when the cd1 is loading up something to do with insmod'ing.

gona try again! now

2. DwnSthGaBoyz

DwnSthGaBoyz Geek Trainee

is it a burned version or the retail version? if burned it couldve been corrupted during the burning process

3. Sniper

I was using a IDE/SATA converter thats what was causing the problem, its working now, but need to get interenet working.

Using Live CD such as Slax I can use the net with out setting anything, on the other hand on MD10 I cant.

using a Netgear Router/ADSL/Switch...

4. Sniper

ok got it working :) using it now! only problem now the net is very slow! getting 90.8 ms ping from hardwareforums.com on average!

wat could be causing this?

5. DwnSthGaBoyz

DwnSthGaBoyz Geek Trainee

are you using a router or is it a direct line to your comp, might just take time to recognize the change

6. Sniper

router

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Try using the network tools in the router itself to ping the server. If you get similar latency, it could just be network conjestion.

8. Sniper

speed is ok now! sound only works with "Line In" not "Optical".

9. Anti-Trend

Try running alsamixer (from shell), that's a *very* powerful mixer. You have a lot more control over your sound card with alsa than you ever did in windows. It can actually be a bit overwelming, as you have dozens of controls to play with...

10. Sniper

I tried that Anti, gives you plenty of options! thx

11. Anti-Trend

Not a problem, Snipe. :) I hope for your sake you don't have a Creative Labs card based on the EMU10k1, as alsamixer can be a bit tricky (Creative has a weird and confusing sound buss). I had to download a diagram of the Creative sound buss to really understand what was going on with my 5.1 surround. Otherwise the bass was being routed through the satellites rather than the sub! :eek:

12. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Would that be the case of the Audigy 2 ZS ?

13. Anti-Trend

It would be the same, as it is also based on the EMU10k1 chipset. It's actually got a few more confusing (mislabled) busses than a regular Live. Even so, once you tinker with it for a while, you can figure out the relationships between different (seemingly unrelated) sound paths, and get it sounding better in *nux than in Windows.

14. Anti-Trend

P.S. - The 'EMU10K1 PCM' channels actually control the primary amplitude (main volume), not the 'Master' channel. Don't ask me why Creative set it up this way. :rolleyes: Also, the first EMU10K1 PCM slider controlls the Left channel volume, and the second one controls the Right.

15. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Thanks....a headache...just what I needed ;)

16. Anti-Trend

Indeed. :p Well, if you need any help I've done the ALSA/Audigy thing quite a few times now. I'd be glad to help you avoid the same frustrations I've had to overcome in the past.