Maxtor Diamond Max Series, Dodgy?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by rimmer, Oct 5, 2007.

1. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Hi, this isn't really an "I need help post" its more of a bitching post. 4 Maxtor Diamond Max series hard drives have failed on me in the last year and a half, and is it not funny they are all the same model apart from actualy size, I have had a 160GB fail, a 200GB fail, and 2 80GBs fail. Now I hate maxtor, for obvious reasons :mad:

However, my most reliable, and longest lasting drive is a really old Maxtor TNT2 Series IDE ATA66 drive, which i think spins at 5,400RPM and holds 25.4GB Formatted size.

Whats the crack with these new Diamond Max's? A manufacturing fault?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well, Maxtor HDDs were crap IMO, however, Seagate are very reliable IMO, and Seagate took over Maxtor some time ago (2005 or 2006 i think) and just rebadged their own Seagate HDDs & put a Maxtor label on them, the aesiest way to tell if the HDD is really a Seagate HDD is to look at the laser etching on the microchips, if it says "ST" (Seagate Technology) then the HDD is really a rebadged Seagate HDD (& the HDDs look like Seagate HDDs)

what does laser etching say ?

3. rimmer

rimmer Geek

I agree with Seagate's being good, I have a 320GB Baracudda SATA 2 one, and its superb, the model numbers of my old dead drives were "6LMO160G" or something like that. the model on mine is and STxxxxxx, and its a relatively new 7200.10 baracudda series, its not a rebadged maxtor one is it?

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no, Seagate rebadged their own HDDs and put Maxtor on them, so, weather you buy a new Seagate or Maxtor HDD, you will get a Seagate HDD

Edt: no, not the model number, does the microchip have ST written on them ?

5. rimmer

rimmer Geek

Grrr I hate Maxtor, another hard drive died, yet again, and no surprise, a diamondmax series. Still looking at my 25GB drive, still humming away nicely, without 1 lockup or error at all. Had it about 6 or 7 years now too :p