Memory upgrade, now PC wont turn on

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by ahdrum, Feb 4, 2007.

1. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

I had 1 Gb of memory, and I added another stick (exact same kind, Kingston Hyper X). when I pressed the power button, there was a beeping noise, going on and off every couple seconds. I turned it off to check everything, everything looked good. Then I turned it back on and nothing happened. I have the Abit KV8 Pro motherboard, it gave me the 0.2 guru code, i am not sure what that means. Anyway, I took the new stick out and tried to start it, and the same thing occurred. So now my computer will not turn on at all. I checked all of the power connections, everything looks good. I am stumped.

Here are my system specs:

Abit KV8 Pro Motherboard
    ELSA Gladiac 940GT
    High Point RocketRAID
    Audigy 2 sound card
    Enermax 600W power supply
    Athlon 64 3400+
    Kingston Hyper X (1Gb)

Any insight would be great. Thank you.

2. OJ beater

OJ beater Geek Trainee

ummm, did you ground yourself ,perhaps you fried you motherboard , if not try to see if everthing is plugged in, GPU and CPU are firmlly in place and such

3. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

yes, i was grounded, and double checked everything

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try inserting either one of the sticks if it boots use PCWizard and compare the results of both sticks, also concider using Memtest86+

BTW: what beep code did you get ?

5. OJ beater

OJ beater Geek Trainee

mem86 would work ,i know some linux disc have it burnt in if not look it up on gooogle memtest86 and burn it vd ,probably a bootable one,never personally done it myselft and it take about an hour and pretty much if you get any errors,your ram is bad

how could you use PCW if it doesnt boot

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i did say if

BTW: memtest should really be left running overnight, just ignore a few errors RAM is bad if you get a few hundred errors

7. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

right now when i press my power button absolutely nothing happens, and the motherboard gives a code 0.2. i cant run memtest or anything of the sort because i cant even get power.

8. OJ beater

OJ beater Geek Trainee

Motherboard dead or cable are messed up ,i new somone who *KNEW* he could ground himself by touching plastic and he tried to upgrade his PC and it would not boot so i troubleshooted with his son and his P/S was good , and so i said i would look at it but no promises and i took the RAM i was sure was fried and it booted ,but it would not post so i looked at it and there was a hole in the mobo so here are the things that could be hard

No CPU
    Bad P/S
    Fried MoBo

9. OJ beater

OJ beater Geek Trainee

it could be your RAM , i thinki you killed both ,so do you have any other computer or a firends PC and see if it boots if not give your firend RAM back and see if his boots if not you a RAM murder ,make sure your grounding yourselft propely ethier wristband or touch metallic part of your pc's chassis

10. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

sorry, im having a hard time following what you are saying. anyway, I held on to my case while i did it, it is a steel case, i know how to ground myself while i work on a computer, ive done it for awhile. Does anybody know what the 0.2 guru code means? I tried looking on the abit website and couldnt find it.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

From what I can tell. the 0.2 code doesn't have any error assigned to it.

Take both sticks out and see if it boots. If it does, you will get an error relating to memory not inserted/incorrectly inserted. If that works, test each stick individually in memory slot 1.

12. OJ beater

OJ beater Geek Trainee

and if it still doenst work try ram from another pc and if it works you have bad ram ,if it does'nt work than try that ram back into the other pc if it works than your motherboard slots are probably busted , if the other pc doesnt work you probably aren't grounding yourselft ,not installing it right , or its the wrong ram

13. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

dude he said he grounded himself. the guy might start to feel offended if you keep telling him he dosnt know how to ground himself if he has said he does.

anyhow, i think if i was his friends i would not let him give my ram a run in that ram crunching machine:)

id leave your friends ram out of the equation for now but doing what b said will be suficient to diagnose the problem. good luck man, i feel for you

14. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

will do, thanks, i will let you guys know what it is when i take a look at it

15. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

@Ahdrum...
    # Check the power cord and outlet.
    # Check the power supply's connector to the motherboard. Disconnect and reconnect to be sure its firmly connected.

# Check the power supply. If you can test it in another PC,
    Make sure the motherboard surface is not making contact with the metal case (except at its mounting points). Take the motherboard and power supply out of the case and place them on a non-conductive surface (wooden table, etc.). If it boots, something was probably shorting out in the case
    [ot]
    ROFL

lol! instead of giving a solution, u r telling him dat Mobo might be fired in ur first reply. U dont make conclusions in the begining of the reports. Do u?
    Not boot could be a PSU problem... Isnt it??
    [/ot]

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Let's keep this on topic and not thread crap, m'kay?

17. Themoho94

Themoho94 Geek Trainee

hey have you treid to put the memory sticks in a diffrent slot maybe the slot you put the sticks in don't work maybe????

18. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

Memory sticks were in the right spot. I finally got around to checking it out this weekend. The power supply checks out fine, memory is ok, video card is good.......motherboard is dead :(. Even though I was grounded, I still must have had some charge in me or something. I have carpet that likes to hold a strong static charge, so that is probably what screwed me. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do, thanks for the advice everyone. It looks like I can upgrade the specs on my PC now!

19. OJ beater

OJ beater Geek Trainee

hmmmm did i say that, i guess not , ......................

20. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

haha oh man....actually everything is good to go, no part is bad at all, I cant believe it took me this long to figure this out. The jumper that resets the bios password was in the reset position, but apparently not all the way. This explains why sometimes my dog would bump into my pc and it would. I guess when I put the new memory stick in, i must have somehow pushed the jumper further into position...aye aye aye, i was about to spend so much money replacing parts too! just thought I would give you guys the update. Thanks for your help!