memtest86 on my ram

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by pinkpig, Jun 9, 2006.

1. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

:confused: well is it bad if i got over 13000 errors on memtest86 i did 1 full test and redid it half again and ended up with over 13467 when i restarted to report my problem ive got exlier ram ??? i heard that its crap but it does the job plz help me should i get new ram ???

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

memtest86 on my ram :S

your RAM may not be dead, try removing it and use some compressed air in a can or even a vacuum cleaner on the slots (to remove any dirt or dust then reinsert it and run memtest again then try the RAM in a different (clean) slot another thing to try is cleaning the contacts on the RAM with some isopropel alcohol (bought from a chemist, just tell them why you want it, some cotton wool buds to apply the isopropel) if none of that works then i think its time you got some new RAM

EDIT: run memtest after trying each thing, if memtest completes successfully then wal-a problem fixed

3. Addis

Addis The King

With 13k errors, your RAM is dead. Simple as that. I've had RAM sticks pull up with 500+ errors and cause huge problems with OS. 13000 is almost certainly an irreversably damaged module. Sorry to say it. :(

4. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

dam it well i cant really bring it down because ive just got a new motherboard so i dont think there will be any dirty slots :( well off to novatech to get new ram thx guys but the ram still works and ant had any problems with it YET

5. Addis

Addis The King

Maybe its in sectors which is not commonly used.

One thing I have to warn you about is static discharge when installing components. RAM is the most susceptible component, so use an anti-static wrist strap attached to your case when handling them.

6. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

also regarding what donkey said about using a vacuum cleaner, can using a vacuum cleaner to get rid of dust in computer actually cause static?

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

good point Willz, you'll be best following Addis's advice about wearing a static strap, you'd also be best to use a vacuum with a metal pipe and connect another antistatic strap to the metal pipe of the vac good luck.

EDIT: connect the antistatic straps to an exposed metal part of your pc case

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Even better for getting out dust, buy a can of compressed air, blow the dust away and out of the case, then vacuum it up later, the air from the compressed air can blows out more dust than a vacuum cleaner could suck out.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

thats why i suggested it earlier

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Sorry, my bad.

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

dont worry bout it, i skim read and miss stuff all the time

12. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

ye but ive only just brought a new motherboad like a month ago and cant see and dust on it at the moment should i still clean it ??? if there is anything to clean

13. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

NO. do you remember hearing a *tick* sound or a tickly sensation on your finger when handling your ram, or leaving it on a wooly material? Try placing them in different slots and in different configurations and see how the tests go.

14. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

well no but my pc origanal was built by my uncle who is a pc experts and has a shop but apart from that i havent touched it apart from once which i put it in a different pc to test it but no i didnt notice any thickly feelings :s is that gd or bad

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no if its new its probably ok and clean

16. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

ok so its bad ram or not??

17. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

and can this cause it to randomly reboot??? coz thats wat my pc is doing alot of at the moment

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

basically yes & yes but a system usually gives a beep code at POST when RAM is no good

19. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

maybe it's faulty.

20. pinkpig

pinkpig Geek Trainee

ok well ill hopfully try so different ram in my pc coz when ever i touch my pc it just reboots on the slightist thing and ill swap the ram and see if it still does it if it doesnt then i know wat it is :p so my best bet is going and getting some good kingston?? ram maybe 1gig