Microsoft close to releasing Server and XP Pro 64bit

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Addis

Addis The King

VNUnet has it that Microsoft is nearing the release of Server 2003 and XP Pro 64 bit edition.

Microsoft last week launched release candidates for workstation and server versions of 64bit Windows, so firms can test them on 64bit extended chips.

Companies looking to run Windows on 64bit-extended chips such as AMD's Opteron and Intel's Xeon can now begin evaluating Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Good news for people with x86-64 processors like the Athlon64 and Intel's unborn 6xx series.

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Oooo. When will windows bring out a whole new one they shud call it wondows 2kx

3. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Personally i think its all a big rip off...

when i was reading the crap that tells you how wonderfull there new OS is (if its that good they shouldnt have to tell me) it said something like:-

"Building on the security of Win 2000 & the "stability" of windows ME (is that a joke?)"

does this mean they just add a couple of new features (that you can get free anyway) make it look nice and charge as much as they :swear: can for it?

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

No it means that they have made the correct decision to base the new range on the security of Windows 2000 which is an exceptionally good OS, however the stability of ME? thats wrong as ME was so bad that microsoft actually removed it from shelves, and thats MICROSOFT removing it.. so it HAD to be bad.. I'd try it out, but i need more memory. you need 256mb minimum to run 64bit, i'll wait till i get 2GB.

5. Addis

Addis The King

Yea it was more like the stability of Windows 2000 and the security of ME. What linux OSs are available for x86-64?

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Just about any Linux distribution is available in a 64-bit flavor. Since Linux is open-source, all the distributors have to do is make a few tweaks and then compile the source code as 64-bit binaries rather than 32-bit. Every 64-bit distro I've tried has also included 32-bit backwards compatibility. As a matter of fact, 32-bit apps run amazingly well in a true 64-bit Linux environment. Besides, with Linux the saying goes something like:

"Linux: The stability of Unix, with the security of Unix" ...and the cost of Ghandi's diet.

Since Windows is a monolithic OS rather than modular, there is no way to truly seperate user-space from the rest of the operating system. Hence the rampant viruses, worms, hacks, system corruption, spyware, malware, scumware, vandalism, etc. Any *nix system worth its salt will have users completely isolated from the rest of the system, therefore unable to damage it, and yet still be able to use the system in a normal fashion. This is the reason Microsoft could literally make Windows temporarily free to anybody who wants it, and I'd still stick with Linux for my servers and workstations.

-AT