Missing Gigs on hard drive

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by dragothic, Jun 1, 2003.

1. dragothic

dragothic Geek Trainee

I have recently aquired a sony vaio desktop, it has 160gig hard drive, after I upgraded to XP pro with a clen install and partition the disk in 3 parts, the total disk is now just 127 gig, where are the missing gigs :(

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

what program did you use to partion the HD? Have you tried using Partion Magic, it should detect the missing space and let you do, what you want with it.

heres a list of software which could help you http://windows.about.com/cs/diskpartitionsw/

3. dragothic

dragothic Geek Trainee

Thanks, I partitioned it with the XP installation CD.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Even with another program, keep in mind that you still will not tally up 160GB. The reason why is because they define a gigabyte as 1000MB. In reality its 1GB=1024MB. However, 127GB showing up is not good news. You should be able to see how much space you have available in the Disk Management section of the admin tools. A quick way to get to that is right click on my computer--->manage--->disk management. You'll be able to see all the drives and partitions currently installed on your PC.

5. dragothic

dragothic Geek Trainee

thats how I wanted to set the h/d up, 20 gig for o/s and utilitys, 80 gig for video and music, and 60gig for games and apps, I had the 1024 thing in mind when i partitioned the disk with the XP cd, now when I look at the disk management, i have drive c: 20gig - d:80gig - e:27.99 gig..how wierd is that???

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmmm...The only thing I can think of that could be the problem here is the 137GB barrier. Anything within the past year or so should be okay. Any ATA133 controller will support drives larger than 137GB hard drives. If that's not the case, you may want to see if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard that can support the proper addressing to overcome this limitation.

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

have you managed to recover the missing GB/s?

8. dragothic

dragothic Geek Trainee

not really but there is a partition there that i didnt add,,,,????
    When I go to disk management now, I've got Disk 0 149.5 Gig, then 4 partitions of 80gig, 20gig, 27.99gig, 21.06gig.......
    Its getting stranger, I didn't set it up like this and it wasn't like this yesterday, any help would be great!!