missing mp3s?!

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by schwanjoe, Feb 23, 2005.

1. schwanjoe

schwanjoe Geek Trainee

Whilst listening to an iTunes playlist of mine last night, I glance up at the screen to notice that it has skipped 2 files and put the little (!) sign next to them, indicating that it cannot find the file. This is strange, being as how I had just listened to the songs but a few hours before. When I went to my main mp3 folder, 90% of my mp3s were gone!!! I have the majority of files that start with symbols through A (and halfway through B) listed, but everything else is not showing. Also, about half of the music subfolders I had are gone. I backed up my files a few months ago, and when I went to replace some of the folders that were not listed, it told me that they were already there and asked if I wanted to overwrite them. As far as I can tell, none of the files are hidden, and when I do a Right Click>Properties, It only sees the 250 or so files I have remaining, and gives the size for them.

What do I do?! How do I get my files back?
    I'm running WinXP Home...thanks guys!

2. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

If they've just been deleted by mistake perhaps try a system restore to a time when you know they wern't missing

3. schwanjoe

schwanjoe Geek Trainee

No can do...I didn't/don't have system restore turned on...

They don't really seem to be deleted, because I still get prompted to "replace" them when I try and drag my backups into the folder...and when I create a new folder, it disappears after I name it...