Mobile Processors Which ONE??

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by beretta9m2f, Jan 22, 2006.

1. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I'm about to buy a laptop as i've sold my old HP nx9010 for 700 bucks and i'm willing to match that and 300 bucks for a total of 1700 to spend on a new laptop. I want it for gaming and i was going to shoot for an AMD Turion, but everywhere i go i see that the Intel Centrino processors are way more expensive for the same ghz. I thought AMD was king of the cpu world; i hope i'm not mistaken. Anyway i need help!

so here are a few questions.
    What is an AMD Turion @ 1.6ghz roughly equivalent too in the AMD Athlon world?

Likewise what is an Intel mobile Centrino @ 1.6 roughly equivalent to in the Intel Pentium world?

I've been looking at 2.2 ghz in the Turions, but if that's excessive i would definitely go for a lower chip and save a few hundred USD.
    Also what's a good online shop to customize a laptop, i don't want anything visually flashy in terms of the the body, i just want the best parts for the lowest price (go figure) so far all i've been to was Vigor and i buy power All help will be appreciated. I want to order the laptop by wednesday or thursday of this week cuz i'm naked without a laptop at school. I have 4 hour blocks free on monday and wednesday (perfect time for gaming!)
    Sorry for the long boring post, but your help is always valued and appreciated.:D

2. Addis

Addis The King

AMd is probably king of the desktop CPU world, but they're not as strong in the mobile market. The Turions are good, and I've heard they're modified Athlon 64s with low power consumption hence its mobile category. I don't have any experience with them, but haven't heard any bad things about them.
    They're not as good as the Pentium Ms (the actual CPU of a Centrino branded notebook) for battery life so bear that in mind, and they won't pack the same punch as a full A64. However for the same clock they might perform better than a PM.

The PMs have a low comparitive clock speed but perform well, especialy the newer chips.

3. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I had my eye on 2.2 Ghz for the AMD side of things, would that be overkill for gaming on an ati x700? (and wen i say gaming i mean gaming on high settings w/o AA and AF with at least 50fps.) Thats what most Turion laptops in my pricerange seem to have equipped.

I know gaming boils down to the GFX card but, the CPU is right up there with performance in games. So which mobile CPU would match an ATI X700 or Nvidia 6800 (which i may spring the xtra cash for)