MOBO, CPU, RAM opinions please.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by BAT Neo, Dec 3, 2007.

1. BAT Neo

BAT Neo Geek Trainee

Hello, my first post here and am seeking advice

What are your thoughts on the following please:

CPU & Cooler:
    Ebuyer - Cheap Computers, Laptops, Digital Cameras, TVs & more!

MOBO:
    Asus Maximus Extreme Intel X38 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

or

Asus Maximus Formula SE Intel X38 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Memory:
    Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory CL9(9-9-9-24) DHX Heatsink Lifetime Warranty - Ebuyer

or

Corsair 4GB Kit (4x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Dominator Memory With Fan - Ebuyer

I am new to DIY upgrades, recently installed:

700 PSU
    nvidia 8800 GT Graphics

Was thinking about the above to complete the upgrade. The ASUS Extreme MOBO has water cooling facility, is it advisable to use it or can i just continue with air cooling ?

AMD or Intel ? Im thinking Intel Quads as read better reviews ?

DDR2 or DDR3 ?

Gaming is my priority, thank you for your opinions and advice, much appreciated ;)

2. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

The Asus maximus formula instead of the Asus maximus extreme. The Asus Maximus extreme took a bit of a beating in this months 'Custom PC' magazine motherboards review.

Personally id go with Intel, though with the new AMD chip coming out it maybe worth having a look at it.

If money is no object then go with DDR3
    If you do decide to go with the DDR2 option then it's £194.24 inc VAT at 'microdirect'

3. BAT Neo

BAT Neo Geek Trainee

But the Formula is DDR2 ?

Can you suggest an alternative to the Maximus ?

Im thinking that at some point, DDR3 will be the memory of choice, just as DDR2 overtook DDR.

What is the new AMD chip ? I know of the Phenom Chip.

Intel sits more comfortable with me though, seems to outshine AMD in every review i have read.

Your opinion is much appreciated;)

4. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

If you want an alternative to the Asus Maximus, then sticking with the Asus theme how about the Asus P5K3 Deluxe WiFi Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
    It got good reviews. The only downer as mentioned in another post recently is Asus's customer support. Or rather customer non-support.

And yeah it was the phenom, my heads like a pickled onion tonight, must be the stresses of work.

5. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

You gave him a p35 chip board though, he was looking at an x38 (better.) Personally, I would wait untill the new x48 chipset comes out, then upgrade. It will support the new processor on the 45nm die wihtout having to overclock.

6. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

Crap!!! think i best go and chill out. My heads a shed tonight.

7. BAT Neo

BAT Neo Geek Trainee

I have looked at the X48 but this isnt due for release until Q1 2008 which could be 4 months away, im not known for my patience unfortunately, money waiting to be spent.

Hmmmm dilemma now, do i try and wait ? I wish there was a firm release date as opposed to Q1 2008 !!!

Struggling on with a P4 3.6Ghz and 3-4 yr old MOBO at mo.

Defo think DDR3 is the way to go though.

Thanks for your opinions ;)

8. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

I would go for DDR2 because DDR3 is way too expensive and its not such a great leap in performance from DDR2. Plus your going to get 4GB of DDR2 which is better then 2GB of DDR3.

9. BAT Neo

BAT Neo Geek Trainee

See, you are correct with what you say at the moment but my concern is that DDR3 will overtake DDR2 (just as DDR2 did DDR) so if im going to upgrade and spend money, im thinking look to the future, why cant things just be simple.

Payday tomorrow so one way or the other a new MOBO is being ordered.:doh:

10. Pimp

Well thats up to you i was just giving you an option. You can buy your self a Mobo that is compatible with both DDR2 and DDR3 so you can buy yourself cheaper DDR2 and when DDR3 is more avialable and cheaper to buy then you can sell your old DDR2 and upgrade to DDR3 thats just another option you may consider.

Quite a few mobos do this a good example of this is the Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R it has three slots for DDR2 and three for DDR3

11. BAT Neo

BAT Neo Geek Trainee

No i know and i appreciate your opinion, you know how it is when it comes to these things, which way do i go etc ;) :doh:

Another question, when a MOBO says it has AMD Crossfire technology, does this mean that i cannot SLi 2 nvidia cards ?

Would i have to buy a MOBO with the 680i chipset that supports nvidia SLi for this ?

Example is the ASUS Extreme etc etc, they state AMD Crossfire, kind of weird on an Intel based MOBO.

Also, which is better, X38 or 680i chipset ?

Thanks again :D ;)

12. Pimp

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers but one would assume if its crossfire then you can't do SLi. The X38 chipset is better then the 680i because it's new technology (supports 45nm) therefore it's more future proof and plus the X38 mobos have larger FSB so therefore you can overclock more.

13. Pimp

Oh and by the way Intel is releasing its new chipset the X48, its already out for pre-order :)

14. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Yes, crossfire only needs two PCI-e ports (obviously pref with 16 lanes each.) SLI is limited to the nvidia chipset (pref the 680i chipset atm.)

15. BAT Neo

BAT Neo Geek Trainee

Couldn't wait for X48.

Bought:
    ASUS Maximus Extreme MOBO
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU with Arctic Freezer 7 Cooler.
    2 Gb DDR3 1333 Corsair RAM
    BFG 8800 GT OC GPU already had.
    700w EZcool PSU.
    320 Gb SATA HDD.

Had a few teeting probs but running sweet now, just gotta put it through its paces and OC it.

Thanks again for your opinions, much appreciated ;)

16. Pimp

That rig of yours is cool but please tell me how far you overclocked that Q6600 too? and is the the 95Watt edition or normal one? because I'm thinking of getting that CPU.

17. BAT Neo

BAT Neo Geek Trainee

I have not OCed any of it yet, i will report what i manage to get it to once i start dabbling, just making sure its stable all at standard first.

The CPU is the 95w edition.

Ill let you know how i get on ;)

18. BAT Neo

BAT Neo Geek Trainee

Overclocked the Q6600 to 3.5ghz from a standard 2.4ghz.

Seems stable at the moment.

19. Pimp

Oh ok kool i heard it can go to 3.6 on air but thats close enough :)

20. BAT Neo

BAT Neo Geek Trainee

That was OCed via the auto OC in the BIOS of the MOBO. read the review below, i havn't tried OCing it yet manually, want to make sure its stable as standard, which it appears to be. Read Below, they use my MOBO & CPU Combo.

Im well happy with it, Crysis & COD4 play like a dream now.

ASUS Maximus Extreme: Awesome Performance at a Price