Moderators here are so lucky...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kid halo, Nov 16, 2003.

1. kid halo

kid halo Geek Trainee

I was pondering deeply when lost in a history lecture in school, what will my career be? I have always wanted to be some kind of doctor because of the huge sums of money they make, but have never had the passion for it that I have for computers. I love building, researching, playing, and comparing computers. You moderators at this site have a great job. You get to do what you like to do: help people out with computers while on your tricked-out rig. I'm in this international program and am so confused on my career. All I know is one thing: I want to be able to have a career with computers involved. I know it sounds superficial, but I'm not kidding. But there's one problem. When I was searching through a career book, I looked at a software engineer and it said they only made like 30k. I know this may be a lot to some people, but I want the big bucks, and I want a SOCIAL job where I get to interact with others. Maybe a hardware engineer for ATI or AMD? I wish for a high-paying job so I can live a good life, with $$$ for my family and vacation and all the things that people dream of(wouldn't it be great to buy the latest parts for a suped-up rig and never worry about the prices of upgrading?) Could you please reccomend me a career that would fit these specifications. Rock on mods!:rolleyes:

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well first, we're not paid. At least I know I'm not paid to be a mod, and if the other mods are, I'd like some money too :p

Second, I suggest you do what you like to do, because money isn't everything. Money won't make you happy. you gotta' start at the bottom like everyone else and make your way up by working hard. There's no secret really.

I study in computer science. I'll start as a developper and see where it brings me. The computer world is tricky because technology advancs so fast that you have to remain up to date by constantly reading and learning throughout your career. You can make the big bucks by working in computers but it certainly won't be easy.

3. kid halo

kid halo Geek Trainee

Do you mean you're going to be your own developer? Like Valve or id Software? Whoa. An interesting prospect. Would you be developing games? And you mean you have to always read and keep up? I enjoy learning about new processors and junk if that's what you mean.

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

being a mod here doesnt earn any money, as the owner I have input quite a bit of money on this site and zone365.com and not made any money, If I were to make money I wont be forgeting the admins/mods. Mods here are happy to help others out and at the same time learn even more.

As for a career, its very hard to say...but most people who, earn pure are, the ones who run there own business. If you get a job a AMD etc you will only earn so much but as a business owner alot more, though it would be much harder.

these are just my thoughts :)

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

This is just a hobby. :) Right now, reviews are based on a rigourous "Whenever we buy something for review" schedual. In the community, very few people get to make something like this their bread and butter. Those that do still had to start from scratch and develop a large enough following to do so. Believe me, I'd like to be able to have the latest and greatest though, and we are working to get some review samples sent in.

6. syngod

syngod Moderator

Hehe thanks for reminding me BigB, I keep forgetting to get the rounded IDE cable mailed. Hopefully I'll get a quick break sometime this week or it'll go out Sat. at the latest.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Cool. Lemme know if you can send out anything else...and any other important details. ;)

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

kid halo: A developper is someone who analyzes a problem (what the client wants) and writes a program that does what the client needs.

Right now I'm not thinking about getting my own business but we never know what the future holds so maybe it'll happen some day.