Monitor Issues

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dbuckley53, Nov 24, 2007.

1. dbuckley53

dbuckley53 Geek Trainee

Yesterday my monitor screen kept going blank while using my pc. The fans and computer were still running and the monitor was receiving no signal. A buddy was at my place and said he had the same issue and to replace my monitor.
    I went and bought a new monitor came home, hooked it up and the same issue kept happening.

Funny thing is, if i hook the monitor up to the motherboard monitor connector everything works correctly.

So am i left to think this is a videocard and/or powersupply issue?

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Welcome to HWF :)

This could have 2 causes.

1: The primary graphics card is set to the onboard graphics card. You can change this in the BIOS (hold DELETE while booting). There should be an option like VGA BOOT or VGA prioity. This needs to be set to AGP or PCIe (the kind of slot where your graphics card is located. Then save the settings with F10.

2: Your graphics card is dead.

3. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

or
    3. Your psu is not providing enough power to your GPU, which then cuts the picture.

4. zxivate

zxivate Geek Trainee

I am pretty positive that it is one of those three situations just listed above

5. Tech

Tech Padawan

What about the basics? Check your cables and interfaces :x:

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I would of tried Your Monitor on another computer first, If both Monitors don't work ,It is going to be a bad video card..