Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by ahdrum, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

I am having a strange issue with my new monitor that I just purchased. It is a Samsung SyncMaster 215TW. I see these horizontal lines moving down the screen (at least that is what it looks like). It does not take place everywhere, just in certain spots...it seems like it is only occurring on the far left side, the far right side, and the center. I thought maybe it was the power outlet, so I hooked it up to a UPS and plugged it into a different outlet, still nothing changed. Then I hooked up a different computer and it still did the same thing. So now I have ruled it down to the monitor as the problem, so I am wondering if it is a simple setting that needs to be changed (even though I have the recommended resolution and refresh rate set), or is it just a bad monitor that I need to send back? What could possibly cause this kind of behavior from the monitor.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Can you post a picture of it? (the problem of the horizontal lines)

3. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

you wouldnt be able to see it in a picture.....the are very small, but it makes everything kinda fuzzy when trying to work on it.

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Press on the button Auto on the monitor. Maybe that will fix it.

5. Hunter312

Hunter312 Geek Trainee

If Auto doesn't work, try accessing the Menu button on the monitor and select Reset. That may do the trick...

6. shanker

shanker Geek Trainee

First, degauss.

If that does nothing for you, then the phosphors are probally playing up on you. If its still under warranty ask for a new one, if not, its a cheap fix.

7. ahdrum

ahdrum Geek Trainee

i already tried auto and reset, it doesnt change anything....i just got the RMA number for newegg....so the phosphors are the problem... i was curious what was actually causing it. Thanks.