Mouse Cuts Out--help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zhay07, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Zhay07

Zhay07 Geek Trainee

Hello,

I've been having mouse problems for the past three months or so. I had an MX510 mouse (from Logitech) and it began to cut out. Eventually, it got so bad that every ten seconds or so, it would cut off. Sometimes my pc (I have Win XP) would play the noise it plays when you unplug a device and the light would go out (it's an optical mouse). Sometimes the mouse light would just go out with no sound. Sometimes a tooltip bubble would pop up saying that a device is no longer working. After it cut out, it would sometimes begin to work again on its own--sometimes not. If I unplugged it and replugged it in (it is a USB mouse), it would work again... for a few seconds or a few minutes. So I purchased a new mouse (MX518 from Logitech) and it worked pretty well for about a week or so and then started cutting out as well. Thus, I believe the issue is that the USB mouse is not getting enough power (I tried 5 different USB ports--2 on my monitor and three on my computer, and it cuts out on all of them). However, I have what I thought was a good power supply (and its relatively new--like 11 months old: (ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W Power Supply 90V~265V (Auto Adjusted) UL, cUL, TUV, CB). Could the issue be with my motherboard perhaps (ABIT AB9 Pro LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard)? Any other ideas? I don't want to use the PS2 port or whatever. Is a powered USB port my only option (any suggestions for good powered usb ports?). I tried reinstalling the Setpoint driver from Logitech as well, but that didn't help. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

—John

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Do you have problems with any other USB devices cutting out as well, like a keyboard or a flash drive? Also, have you tried updating or reinstalling the drivers for your motherboard yet? :eek:

3. Zhay07

Zhay07 Geek Trainee

Nothing else cuts out. However, I'll try reinstalling the motherboard drivers. Thanks!

4. Zhay07

Zhay07 Geek Trainee

By the way, I tried using a PCI card with USB ports, and it cuts on that too.

5. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

One other thing you can try too. If you go into the device manager and check under the usb root hubs and right click and choose properties, they have a power management tab. There is an option that allows windows to cut power to the usb port to save power. You can try to uncheck this to see if it makes a difference as well. Maybe xp is cutting off power to the port.

6. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

You know, i had exactly the same problem with the same mouse lol basically when that happened to me i called up logitech and they told me that there is a number of reasons for this.
    1) you may have dropped the mouse a few times and caused a malfunction inside the circuit, some stupid thing like that.
    2) Your mouse is faulty (no s*** sherlock)
    3) some object may have crushed the USB cable (don't see how that happens)
    4) The USB head might be warn out or dirty inside so ain't connecting properly.
    5) Not up to date drivers (mine was up to date)
    and there where more reasons for this but basically you cant really fix this problem if i was you i would send it back to logitech and get a new mouse thats if you still have warranty but you've been using it for a little while so you can get a new one.