? MP3 Player Recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by Anti-Trend, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

OK Tech-savvy forum dwellers. ;) I'm looking for an MP3 player that will be standard (i.e. Linux compatible), high-capacity and since I'm poor, preferrably inexpensive. Note that I'm not really interested in CD-based mediums, I'd rather like to have a more compact unit that's 100% skip-proof. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

from me, looking around they are still quite expensive! not forgeting the ipod which is the most expensive but also the best one around! It would depend on how much you wana spend on the mp3 player?

3. Anti-Trend

Well, I really don't like bubbly white iPods, and I don't want to pay $500 for an MP3 player. There are MP3 players that have more space and are cheaper than iPod, but they're still way out of my price range. I'm looking to the range of $120 or under. I know Rio players are Linux compatible, but I haven't know anyone who's owned one.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You're talking canadian dollars right ?

From what I've read - although I haven't read much on the subject - you won't get much quality for that price range.

There are a couple of models in that price range at www.ncix.com , you might wanna' check them out. I know there's a mushkin (128mb), but there are a couple others.

5. Anti-Trend

Thanks for the pointers, harrack52. Actually I'm talking about US dollars. :) As far as the quality goes, as long as the thing has 20Hz ~ 20KHz range and at least 128MB RAM, I'll be happy enough with it. I don't plan on jogging cross-country with it or participating in any Apple commercials; "MP3's make you cool", etc. ;) It wouldn't hurt to be fairly tough construction though, because I have a nasty habit of dropping expensive electronics on hard floors... :eek:

6. Sniper

how about the iRiver iFP-180T from Amazon its in you price range, and I think meets your requirements?

7. Anti-Trend

Hey -=Sniper=-, thanks for the link... that looks like the one! ;-) Keychain MP3 Player, looks nice, 128mb, 20Hz ~ 20KHz, LCD, 1 AA batterly = 20hrs, and "Use as a portable drive to transport any file type", which means it functions like a USB memory stick to the OS, making it Linux compatible. it's even $11 under my price cap. Thanks, "Hardware Dude" ;)

8. Sniper

n/p it even has FM radio, and record radio function :)

9. Anti-Trend

I probably won't use that functionality, but it's not usually found in devices of that price range. It seems like pretty good bang for $.

10. Sniper

seen to new mini-ipods? looks cool!

11. Anti-Trend

I haven't seen them yet, but I've read a few snippets on them. Sounds almost too good to be true at around $100 for 2-4GB! Too bad they're not around yet, or I'd give Apple some money for the first time in my life. :)

12. misunoko

misunoko Geek Trainee

i have a creative nomad or sumthing works fine on redhat and has a SD card slot and never skips and it probly the cheapest out there

13. Anti-Trend

Which model of Nomad? There's a lot of different types. The Muvo is the lower end and it's still a bit more pricey than the iRiver that Sniper pointed out.

14. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

the thing is, usually:the smaller the mp3 the less battery life and the less power it has because it uses smaller batteris (usually). i like to have my phones screaming into my ears, and since mine are studio monitors they have 600homs or something crazy like that so it takes alot to get them goin. im not too fond of rio, friends have had them-they broke. uhh...ipods just arent anything special to me, except their need to be held by every rich prep. yeah.

15. Anti-Trend

<sarcasm> Oh, but I Lo~~ve rich preps! </sarcasm> I seriously decided not to support Apple though after I found out how they're in bed with the RIAA... You'll never see me give so much as a buck to Apple 'till they cut out that kinda garbage. Also, they decided they could sell Mini-Ipods for around $100 and still make a decent profit, but instead they're selling them for $300. Sounds a lot like our "friends" in Redmond, doesn't it?

16. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Creative Labs Rhomba 256Mb.

Superb sound quality, no skip. Built in rechargeable Lithium battery..charges in 30 minutes. Lasts up to 15 hours. Around 60 songs encoded at 128K.

Awesome piece of kit. Priced £109.00, Amazon

Or get a mini ipod.

17. Sniper

18. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Damn it! I paid £109 for that like a month ago....ah well.