MSATA With Four Pins

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Andytags, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Andytags

Andytags Geek Trainee

I scrapped my sister's broken Laptop for parts that may be able to enhance my desktop. (It wasn't really broken, it was just a Toshiba Satellite with a melted charger port, so pretty much, everything worked but the charger port, so the computer couldn't charge, which is really unfortunate.) Luckily for me, I found possible use for an MSATA hard drive. I know that I could probably buy a cable for it, as my computer's motherboard has four ports for hard drives, but the adapter part of it had an extension that had four pins. I'll attach a picture of it.
    Sorry if I had some false term usage or information, I'm relatively new to computer hardware.
    but my main question is: What type of cable would I have to buy in order for this to work in my desktop?
    Maybe the pins only have use in a laptop, but I don't know, that's why I'm here, asking this question.

Attached Files:

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Thats a sata hard drive and you will need to get some kind of adapter to make it work..Plus your power supply will have to support sata plugin..

3. Andytags

Andytags Geek Trainee

My computer's hard drive was originally SATA, so does that mean my power supply supports SATA?

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yes, your power supply will work, but you will need a adapter from 3.5 to 2.5 to make it work..