Msi X99a Godlike Motherboard Audio Connection

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by SirDeity1234, Nov 9, 2015.

1. SirDeity1234

SirDeity1234 Geek Trainee

I have a cable (provided by case) which comes with both AC'97 and HD Audio connectors, but I don't know which one I need to use on this motherboard. The motherboard manual pinout detail descriptions do not match precisely with either the HD Audio or the AC'97. However, the pinout descriptions on the motherboard port math more closely with the AC'97. If this motherboard is as high end as I think it is, and if HD Audio is generally superior to AC'97 (HD Audio essentially replaces AC'97), then shouldn't the GODlike motherboard use the HD Audio connector?

Anyway, where none of the pinning descriptions are match up, I don't know which connector to use and on the one hand I don't want to limit my audio performance or system capabilities but on the other hand I also don't want to risk damaging anything. I'd also like to avoid having to troubleshoot later only to discover I used the wrong connector type.

I should mention that I have a PCI-e slot mounted sound card for superior sound quality and performance, but I believe the connector(s) in question are specifically intended for the audio ports on the enclosure.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Put HD audio connector on motherboard pins and then go to UEFI BIOS and select HD audio. Should be HD audio default but check anyway.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Every time I've had the option between AC 97 and HD Audio, HD Audio is what works. I think the AC 97 connector is there for legacy motherboards, by which I mean pre DDR1 memory-based motherboards...ancient tech relatively.