My DSL... what a joke!

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Rusty S, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Rusty S

Rusty S Geek Trainee

I recently got internet back about 1 month ago. Im in Canada, and first went with the bell high speed @ 5mb/s. That didnt work out because they were way to slow... cancled, and found a new provider, MNSI, at 3mb/s for a cheaper price. I am having the same problem again with speed, and I called their techs (who no a LOT more than those at bell). Turns out that my phone line is attached to an exchange 6Kms away, and it should be at a max of 3Kms! Im only getting a max download speed of 30kb\s... pathetic, especially for online gaming. The techs said that they will try to switch my phone line to a closer exchange, but the exchanges are not owned not by MNSI, but by Bell... Has anyone had any luck in a situation like this? Any Luck? How long does it take for them to switch you over? I really don't want to go back to cable, because the only provider in my area is rogers... and they block Bittorrent.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Take a high speed rogers connection, setup an VPN with an endpoint that is not affected by P2P restrictions.

https://www.relakks.com/?lang=eng&cid=gb is a VPN service setup by the sweedish pirate party, its 5 euro's a month (or 50 euro's for a year) and it would allow you to use bittorent at the highest speed possible for the torrent AND your completely anonymous! (the traffic going through the VPN will come out with a sweedish IP address, which is changed everytime you sign in).

Use the VPN for bittorent / restricted things... play games without the VPN (it will raise your ping, as your traffic will have to go to sweeden and then the server!)

good luck!

3. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

[ot]Wow. Of course Impotence would know all about swedish pirates lol.

Btw, Rusty S, if u're in canada, how come your flag is that of Ethiopia lol? [/ot]

4. Rusty S

Rusty S Geek Trainee

lol. Just put my flag to Etheopia for jokes:)