my laptop has a black screen thats it please help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nanajoanne, Oct 6, 2008.

1. nanajoanne

nanajoanne Geek Trainee

hi can anyone help? when i turn my laptop on all i get is a black screen and a white flashing line in the top left hand corner my laptop is a E system 3087 what is wrong with it ???????:mad:

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I don't think i can help you just yet but it seems like your system is stuck in the booting process. I know, it's an obvious remark.
    What was the last thing you did before this happened?
    Any recent viruses?
    When you boot does it pass the BIOS?
    Are there any beeping sounds?

3. nanajoanne

nanajoanne Geek Trainee

all that happens is when i turn it on i just get a black screen with a white line flashing in the left hand corner and that is it nothing else happens and it wont do anything else just a blank black screen.

4. Fred

Fred Moderator

Do you get the BIOS splash screen and then the blinking line? Or when you power the laptop on, does it go straight to the blinking line without ever seeing the BIOS?

If you see the BIOS, we need to check for hardware failure:
    • Go into the bios (Usually F1, F2, or Delete)
    • Change the boot order to optical drive first (location varies per BIOS)
    • download and burn the following cd image to disc:DFT.
    • Put the disc in your drive and power the computer on. It will boot to dft automatically. Accept the license agreement and run an advanced test. Let us know if there are any errors.

5. nanajoanne

nanajoanne Geek Trainee

hi it goes straight to the black screen without even seeing bios. :(

6. Fred

Fred Moderator

If you're not even getting a BIOS display and no beep codes (beeping coming from the computer after powering on), it sounds like you may have a bad motherboard. Unfortunately, diagnosing/repairing laptops are a huge pain compared to a desktop. Honestly, it may not be worth your time and effort. If your computer is still under a manufacturer's warranty, obviously they'd repair it for you.

7. nanajoanne

nanajoanne Geek Trainee

hi thanks for your help it looks like im hitting the shops then for a new laptop thanks very much for your help .

8. papa g tuna

papa g tuna Geek Trainee

yeah i have the black screen and the blinking line. i also have the bios before it. can you explain it more throughly for me? what is causing this?

9. papa g tuna

papa g tuna Geek Trainee

i put in the disk and it doesnt do anything.is optical drive CD/DVD drive?
    and which download do i do? also is this going to fix the problem ar just tell me what it is?
    if you could reply, that would be great:chk::D:chk::);):chk::D

10. Fred

Fred Moderator

First off, next time don't thread jack but instead just start a new thread.
    Aside from that, you said you put in the disk... what disk did you put in? A hard disk, a cd?

Secondly, go here and download drive fitness test cd image and burn to a disc. You should put that disc in your computer then restart the computer. Enter the BIOS make sure the boot order involves booting from the cdrom before the hdd, then save and exit. When it boots up, it should boot straight to dft. You can use dft to test the hdd.

This will not fix the problem, but instead tells you what the problem is or isn't so we can proceed.

11. papa g tuna

papa g tuna Geek Trainee

k, do i download all the stuff at the site? or just the cd picture?

cuz i am pretty sure i already did that

12. winslow33

winslow33 Geek Trainee

I didn't have time to read any of the replies so excuse me if this is repeat:

I had the same problem one time when absolutly everything got wiped off my hard drive for some reason. Do you have any kind of bootup CD or something to boot DOS and see if anything is left on the hard drive?