My Next Graphics Card ...What can I get?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Phillips126, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Phillips126

Phillips126 Geek Trainee

Hey all,

As the title implies, I'm in the market for a new graphics card. My current card is a bit dated, but has done well for me. Lately, it has been showing signs of death (artifacts in games, etc...) and it's time to replace it.

I currently run a GeForce 8800GT.

When I bought my PC, that was pretty much a top graphics card ...since then there has been a lot of new ones and the naming convention on them has got me all kinds of confused. So I'll rely on your expertise! :chk:

I'm looking to get something a little more robust, but not something crazy expensive either.

My PC is a Dell XPS 630i. I have two PCI slots (so SLI cards are possible). I also have a 750W power supply.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about computers, but I can try to answer any questions you may throw my way.

Thanks for the help!!

Phillips126

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

If you are looking for a similar card, the GeForce 9800GT seems to have almost the same stats as the 8800GT. As for the new naming scheme, the GT 220, 240, and 430 seem to have lower specs than your current card so they would be more of a downgrade. The GTS 250 would give slightly better performance, it has a better texture fill rate and slightly faster processor speed. The new GTX cards all seem to have better stats, but they get way more expensive as the number gets higher. You can compare at least the specifications on the different NVidia cards here GeForce Graphics Processors

3. Phillips126

Phillips126 Geek Trainee

Wildcard,

Thanks for the advice... I used to know quite a bit about Video Cards, but since I got my last PC (which was top of the line) I just stopped dreaming about a beastly PC and stopped watching Video Cards, etc...

I had purchased a factory sealed GTS 250 off Ebay, we'll see how it goes. I thought the price of $51.00 was quite good, snatched it up without thinking twice. (Previous owner purchased it and realized he couldn't use it).

So thanks again!!

Phillips126 :)

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, it was a good deal. Newegg, take it or leave it, is showing most 250 GTS's for around $100.

5. softechnet

softechnet Geek

Hey, its good to go with GeForce 9800 GT, and GeForce 8800 GT are identical: both use the same graphics chip (G92-270-A2)