My Printer Won't Print....

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by angiebroch, Jun 25, 2006.

1. angiebroch

angiebroch Geek Trainee

Hi all, hope someone can help me (crosses fingers) ;)
    I have a brand new EPSON DX4800 printer/scanner/copier which scans & copies fine but won't print.
    I'm running Win 98 and am getting an error message which says "Setup cannot install epusbci.dll, please contact your hardware vendor". Shop where I bought my pc says there is no reason for this error message!
    Basically when I try to print anything from my pc, it flatly refuses to co operate, I get an error screen in "maintenance" saying "the printer is not ready to print", and shows all inks as empty - WRONG! They are all 90 - 100% full cos I haven't used the bloody thing! (Well, only to print out colour copies to test it thus far!)
    Has anyone got any ideas please? Before the multifunction goes out the window!

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

if you have got a USB printer
    To correct the issues try the following:

Turn printer Off
    Go to Device Manager and Remove the EPSON USB Printer Device (EPUSB1:)
    Go to Printers and remove the SP1200 driver
    Go to Start/Find and type EPUSB and click Find
    The following files should be listed:
    Epsonepusbien.inf
    Epusbci.dll
    Epusbin.dll
    Epusbmn.dll
    Epusbun.exe
    Epusb.sys
    Highlight and delete all 6 files.
    Go back to Start/Find and type EPSON and click Find.
    The files listed should be: EPSONEPIIFE3T.INF (for SP1200)
    Highlight INF file and delete it.
    Restart the Computer
    Once back to the Desktop, Power the printer on and it should Plug and Play USB correctly

[link=http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/epson/inkjet/sp1200.htm]Source[/link]

3. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

hi according to the net the .dll file is part of the printer USB driver, without this file the printer may not be able to communicate properly

i tracked this page down that contains the dll hope it helps Epson EPSON USB Printer Driver

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Did your printer come with a software disk?

If it did, personaly, I would remove the printer completely.
    Then use the CD to install whatever needs to be installed before connecting the printer. Once you have installed everything, connect the printer and switch it on. Maybe you have not got USB printing support installed properly?
    I am not sure Win98 supports USB printing natively. Maybe tht is the problem?

5. angiebroch

angiebroch Geek Trainee

Hi and thanks for all your help everyone....sadly printer is still not printing, scans & copies, but sticks 2 fingers up when I try to print! Had an online chat with an Epson techy this afternoon who seemed to think the port may be the problem but encouraged me to uninstall & reinstall, which I have done...still won't print.....
    Back to the port problem.
    Literature & Epson techy says EPUSB1: port should be selected.
    When I try to change the port (from LPT1: TCP Printer Port) to EPUSB1: I get an error message YOU MUST SELECT A VALID PORT TO PRINT TO.
    Has this port been disabled and how do I enable it? I think this could be at the root of the problem...
    Any ideas folks?

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Just go through all the steps, one by one carefully and hopefully you will get the answer.

1. Is it beeping at you? Most printers will beep once or twice during or after initialization. If it beeps more than that or beeps constantly, the poor thing is either hurt or trying to tell you something is wrong. Look in the manual or go to the web site to learn what it is saying. Unfortunately, beep code documentation can be hard to find, the beep you hear may not listed, or the meaning of the beep is nebulous. Most, printers will beep when out of paper or out of ink and those are the most common causes for a printer turning into a road runner.

2. Does it test-print? Most printers have a built-in diagnostics program which can be very useful for troubleshooting problems and test-printing without a computer. They are usually initiated by pressing a button or two while turning on the printer. Check your user manual. If the printer test-prints OK, you have probably eliminated the mechanical print mechanism as the problem.

3. Does it have ink or toner? Is the Ink cartridge full, ribbon installed correctly, or laser cartridge full? An ink jet printer may have a black and a color cartridge. Check both of them or at least set the printer to use a cartridge with ink in it. You can usually extend the life of a laser cartridge long enough to order a new one by removing the cartridge and gently shaking it side-to-side to redistribute the tone. Sometimes you can get a ribbon going temporally by removing from the printer and manually advancing the ribbon past a worn spot by turning the sprockets.

4. Is it clean? Most ink jet printers have a simple user procedure for cleaning the print heads. You may have to clean them periodically or after the printer has been idle for a few days or weeks. If you see funny colors or print-outs are missing colors, a cartridge may be empty or a head dirty. You may have to clean a head many times to get it working again.
    Does it have paper? Be sure the paper is installed correctly and there is enough of it. Most printers have a paper-out detector. On most dot matrix printers it is a photo diode. If form-fed paper is not aligned correctly (usually on the left side) the diode won't see it. DOS may indicate it has lost communications with a printer which is out of paper instead issuing a paper-out error.

5. Is it jammed? Paper jams are frequently the reason my wife is able to fix many printers. She's very good at it (and she has smaller fingers than mine). Always read the manual on how to clear a jam. Don't be a "gorilla" with your printer! You can easily damage a printer (strip gear threads, etc.), or even get hurt, if you do not follow instructions and are not careful. Turn the power off--unplug it. You have 110 volts running around the inside many printers. And print heads, gears, etc. like to nip fingers.

Laser printers have some very fine wires to remove static charges from the paper near the fuser mechanism which will break if you aren't very careful. Also, the fuser itself can be very hot (it fuses/melts toner to the paper).

Don't move a print head unless the instructions direct it. You can damage the belt, etc.

Address labels cause many paper jams and cannot always be seen. The old shirt cardboard trick can be used to dislodge them from many printers. Just feed a shirt cardboard (or cut a piece of like-sized cardboard form a file folder) through like a sheet of paper and wiggle the label loose and out.

Staples, paperclips, dog hair, and cookie crumbs are among the many things we have coaxed out of printers. A staple will raise havoc with the drum in laser printers. If you see vertical lines on pages printed by a laser printer (or copy machine), the drum is probably scratched. Replacing it can be a very expensive repair, indeed.

If jams persist, or the printer won't feed paper, there is a good chance that gears are stripped or rollers are worn-down or have flat spots. Fixing this sort of problem may require specialized tools and elaborate alignment procedures and is often best done at a printer repair depot. It is not usually economically feasible to send low-end ink jet and dot matrix printers, etc. to a repair depot. Sometimes roller problems can be fixed by cleaning the rollers.

Changing to a different kind of paper may help. Refer to your user manual for guidance.

On humid days, slightly damp paper can cause jams by sticking together causing more than one sheet to be fed at a time. Try removing the paper from its tray, etc. and fanning it. Make sure the edges or corners aren't curled and the tray is either not too empty or too full. Read the book...

Then there are those printers which no one can figure-out how to dissemble without damaging them...

6. Is it wedged? The printer memory could be full or there may my a glitch caused by a power spike. Turn-off the printer, wait a few seconds and turn it back on.

7. Does the printer port have a software security device on it? These devices attach to the printer port and the printer cable attaches to the device. They can break. Try printing without it.

8. Is the printer port configured correctly in your computer's BIOS Setup? Try the various printer modes in your computer's CMOS Setup. ECP+EPP usually works with bi-directional printers, but others may fix the problem.

9. Is it set-up properly? Be sure Windows is set-up correctly with the correct printer driver and something else (another printer, FAX, etc.) is not assigned LPT1: Be sure the printer is set as the default Windows printer. Try it on another desktop computer. If that works, try another printer on the suspect computer. Uninstalling and reinstalling the printer often fixes problems. Get rid of duplicate printers.

10. Does it have a stuck print queue? Start>Settings>Printers>double click the printer> Printer>Purge Print Documents

11. Have you used Windows Help to solve the problem?